Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
glenfield model 30 >

glenfield model 30

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

glenfield model 30

Old 06-07-2014, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Getting in here late, but I echo the comments about the see-through mounts. I tried them once upon a time an a carbine length BAR that I intended to use in rather heavy woods. Never got used to picking my head up off the stock to use the scope.

As far as which scope .... I think that you would be pleased with a rather compact size .... and anything like a 1.5-6, 2-8, 3-9 would be plenty. Just buy the best quality that you can afford. If you have never tried a German #4 or #8 style reticle, take a look at one. I like the thick posts for getting quick onto the target
Old 06-09-2014, 08:21 AM
Typical Buck

so would 3x9-40 be a good choice? thats a scope im familier with
Old 06-10-2014, 04:08 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by buckman11
so would 3x9-40 be a good choice? thats a scope im familier with
I have a 3x9x40 Bushnell Trophy XLT on my Marlin 30AS and I am happy with that size scope.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

the main reason i thought about see through mounts was so i could raise quick and make a running shot if i had to. so is there a scope with a hair lower magnification than a 3-9x40 that i could use to locate a moving target a hair easier
Old 06-17-2014, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by buckman11
the main reason i thought about see through mounts was so i could raise quick and make a running shot if i had to. so is there a scope with a hair lower magnification than a 3-9x40 that i could use to locate a moving target a hair easier
i really echo what everyone else says about the see-thru mounts a solid cheek weld is key in good shooting. as far as scope if you want something a little bit smaller than the 3-9x40 than maybe try a 3-9x32 it has enough power imo for a 150 plus yard shot if you choose or you could crank it down for something on the run or in the woods not to mention at least with me open sights are to hard to find but a low powered scope i can operate quick if i need to.and a scope collects light whereas an open sight will not so those key early morning shots are less hard
Old 06-17-2014, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default scope

3x9x40 is fine. That was my first scope i had on the marlin 336, Now I use a 2x7x32 , and it works fine. Besides if your in really deep woods , a running shot might not be all that good. I always believe keeping your cool during a shot is the best way.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I have a Pentex 2x7 on a model 7 Remington in 7MM 08 that I like real well in the dark cedar swamps here.
Also have a 1.5 x5 Bushnell dusk to dawn that works great on my shot gun.

Al