Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Need help with the kids >

Need help with the kids

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need help with the kids

Old 05-02-2014, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

You might also think about practicing in the backyard with "visual orientation". Tell them to take notice of the landscape, so if they can find a fence in the scope, then they can recognize where the scope is pointing, and where they need to go to find the animal.

So like you said about finding a can in the Y of a tree. If they can find the base of the tree, then follow it up, they can find the can.

Cowitnessing will be a lot faster, but it does help to be able track where you're pointing vs where the target is in the scope.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
You might also think about practicing in the backyard with "visual orientation". Tell them to take notice of the landscape, so if they can find a fence in the scope, then they can recognize where the scope is pointing, and where they need to go to find the animal.

So like you said about finding a can in the Y of a tree. If they can find the base of the tree, then follow it up, they can find the can.

Cowitnessing will be a lot faster, but it does help to be able track where you're pointing vs where the target is in the scope.
there he goes using big words again, would give anything to spend a day on the range shooting with him, but by god I refuse to play scrabble
just kidding, he explains things so well
RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 05-02-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
there he goes using big words again, would give anything to spend a day on the range shooting with him, but by god I refuse to play scrabble
just kidding, he explains things so well
RR
Ah c'mon, after making me look like a newbie on the range, you'd HAVE to let me make up some ground at scrabble!

As much as I wish to be a DM over a rifle, my wordsmithing takes the infantry/artillery model - throw enough words at something, you're bound to hit the target!

Gotta say though, j76's thread got me a lil fired up - my boy's only 9mos old, but I already can't wait until he gets big enough that we can start assassinating pop cans in the backyard!
Old 05-03-2014, 05:47 AM
j76
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Ah c'mon, after making me look like a newbie on the range, you'd HAVE to let me make up some ground at scrabble!

As much as I wish to be a DM over a rifle, my wordsmithing takes the infantry/artillery model - throw enough words at something, you're bound to hit the target!

Gotta say though, j76's thread got me a lil fired up - my boy's only 9mos old, but I already can't wait until he gets big enough that we can start assassinating pop cans in the backyard!

I think when my oldest was 4 I cut the stock down on the pellet gun and turned him loose. Last fall my youngest took out a chipmunk with the 22 for his first kill......... Gettin a little misty eyed just thinkin about it!
Old 05-03-2014, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

yep, mines first kill, she was 5 I think

her first deer

not my idea, told her to hold behind the shoulder, she was just showin off

she was 8, at 9 she was diagnosed as type 1 diabetic, at 15 she just felt comfortable enough with the disease to once again go to the woods, hopefully this fall it won't be so brutaly cold and she can enjoy it.
RR
Old 05-05-2014, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great pics of Lil' Miss Ridge! To think such a pretty girl could come out of a mountain mongrel!!

What's the 22 with her chuck? Looks like a WMR, who built it? Looks about the right size and I like the laminate stock (my wife loves "lamo camo"), I might need one like it for my boy in a few yrs (his cousin, 6yo now can learn on it 'til then too).
Old 05-05-2014, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

its a 22LR , built by rogue rifle works called a chipmunk, it was the bull barrel model, and shot very wellthey also made it in wmr.
I think the guys who built the cricket bought the company, and still make them but not sure if they still make the wmr
RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 05-05-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:59 PM
Typical Buck

Yes you can get the Crickett in 22 wmr in and youth and adult model. Same basic rifle as the chipmunk.
http://crickett.com/crickett_aboutus.php