Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Firing issue with rem 7400 .270 semi auto >

Firing issue with rem 7400 .270 semi auto

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Firing issue with rem 7400 .270 semi auto

Old 04-12-2014, 04:20 PM
Spike

Default Firing issue with rem 7400 .270 semi auto

Hi guys

I have an issue with my gun. Here's the problem.

First round fires fine, cartridge extracts, next shell loads into the chamber. Go to fire the second round and for some reason the trigger goes limp, doesn't reset. I'll extract the shell in the chamber and then load the third round into the chamber no problem and then fire it. For some reason it won't fire the second round but after extraction of that second round, the third round fires. I'm thinking it's just dirty and gummed up ??????

I'm new to guns and hunting, so I think my lack of experience is hampering me. If anyone could help that would be great.

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

How old is the gun and have you given it a good internal cleaning? That is probably what it needs so it cycles properly if it will fire after you are doing the cycling manually.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:17 PM
Spike

Not too sure how old it is. It was given to me and I'm thinking it needs a real good clean.

I hope to clean it tomorrow and see. Thanks for the reply!
Old 04-13-2014, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

A good breakdown and cleaning is the first thing I'd try. Chances are that's your problem.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't own a Remington semi-auto (disclaimer), but aside from being gunked-up, something else than can cause problems with autos in general is your ammunition. Are you using US-manufacture factory loads? Or something else?
Old 04-13-2014, 05:56 AM
Spike

Looks to be a cheap federal ammo. Got the ammo given to me with the gun. I have some fusions I'm going to fire off today to see if there's a difference.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:21 AM
Typical Buck

It's not going fully into battery after the first round fires and the second is chambered.

First clean it top to bottom (detail strip) , and if that doesn't cure it your spring is worm out. Replace it.

It's a cheap fix.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:47 AM
Typical Buck

if you are new to guns and hunting you might want to take it to a gunsmith to be disassembled and cleaned. he will also know if there is something else causing your problem.