HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   M70 Sporter vs Featherweight (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/390665-m70-sporter-vs-featherweight.html)

Big Uncle 03-29-2014 06:13 AM

M70 Sporter vs Featherweight

I think I will pick up a wood stocked .30-06. It is tough to find M70 rifles on the rack now, but some shops offer special order. This makes it difficult to compare the M70 Sporter and the M70 Featherweight. I have read the specs and am leaning toward the Sporter - but the Featherweight is slightly better looking to my eyes.

Anyone here have these models and wish to offer an opinion?

jerry d 03-29-2014 06:55 AM

I've handled them both. I like the featherweight better. Fits me better, seems to balance better and IMO looks better.
The sporter has a 24" barrel and a cheek piece, the FW a 22" barrel & no cheek piece plus the Schnabel foregrip.

Big Uncle 03-29-2014 07:27 AM

This rifle will travel as a companion to my M70 Safari Express which has a cheekpiece. I do like the looks of the featherweight with the handy 22" barrel and the Schnabel forearm, but Winchester lists the difference in weight at only 4 ounces. With only a 4 oz delta I don't quite get the name "featherweight". Am I reading something wrong?

bugsNbows 03-29-2014 12:13 PM

I also wondered about the Featherweights being not so lite. of course you could get a Super Grade. LOL.

Big Uncle 03-29-2014 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by bugsNbows (Post 4131585)
I also wondered about the Featherweights being not so lite. of course you could get a Super Grade. LOL.

The SG is really pretty sitting in a rifle rack, but I would hate to scratch one by actually hunting with it!

The SG is listed as a full pound heavier than the standard Sporter. I know there are a few differences in the stock but a full pound? I would like to put some of these models on a scale.

Big Uncle 03-29-2014 12:46 PM

After I find the right rifle then I will be faced with which scope. Naturally I am torn between either a refurbished Bushnell or a Swarovski Z6.

jerry d 03-29-2014 02:25 PM

The "featherweight" aint exactly light. 4oz may not be far from the truth.

Cougarz 03-31-2014 05:09 PM

If possible I would handle both first. I've had a Featherweight Classic since they came out, maybe as I've aged (?) but I've come to like the more weight forward feel of the Sporter. I too own a Safari Express which I like a lot so maybe that effects my preference. The Sporter certainly feels more like the Safari Express just lighter.

Choices, choices!

Big Uncle 04-02-2014 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Cougarz (Post 4131947)
The Sporter certainly feels more like the Safari Express just lighter.

That is what I want. I usually carry two rifles in my Tuffpak if I am traveling very far, and it is nice to match them up to an extent.

Sometimes stainless & synthetic are good, but other times walnut & blued is more appropriate. A .30-06 and a .375 are natural companions.

For some reason the new M70 is scarce right now.

Bullcamp82834 04-02-2014 01:02 PM

I'll take the featherweight.
A more elegant looking production rifle I've yet to see.
Shoots good too.