Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
ruger compact >

ruger compact

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ruger compact

Old 03-18-2014, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bbj270
Love the model seven would like to find another one. They are hard to find around me. My nephew will take over mine in the fall. It was a youtube model and I put a the lop synthic stock on it have to put the youth wood stock back on it know. Dad was looking for a model seven when he ended up pickling up the ruger about 12 years ago. The model seven with then synthic stock cells like you aren't caring nothing up the ridge.
Local hardware store has a model7 SS in a synthetic stock (it looks like a B&C) not like the SPS junk stock...$749. I just cant bring myself to like SS
Old 03-18-2014, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

My cousin has two model seven ss. One is 7/08 and 223, there stocks are beaver made then the stock on a 700 adl I have haven't dealt with the sps. I don't really like stainless either. I like wood stocks over synthic also. The synthic stock i got for my model seven was a factory after market stock it is petty nice and makes the rifle really sleight and handy.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jerry d
I was hoping you'd see this and chime in. I remember you saying you owned one!
Hows the recoil on the 7MM08? Also what is "acceptable" accuracy?
I'm hunting some hills & hollers where I live & carrying my 700 w/ a boyds lami stock just plain ole sucks!
What scope do you have one them?
Do they balance right? (not too muzzle light)
Im leaning toward the 243 cause my 700 (that I just sold) was in 243 and IMO has been a very capable whitetail cartridge. Plus I like the 9" twist of the ruger.
Thanks
Jerry
The recoil on the 7mm-08 is not an issue for my 5'1" 105 lb. wife so a .243 would be a piece of cake! Accuracy-wise, it's ok but the short, skinny BBL heats up at the range and may string shots a bit. At best it shoots 1.25"-1.5" at 100.... at worst it's minute of deer. I'm going to take the .308 out this fall just because it's a dream to carry (balance is fine). I've put on an aftermarket stock, had it bedded and with a new scope (Leupy VX-R 2-7 X 33 with the Firedot 4) it ought to be the bugs nutz! We'll see. Good luck Sir!
Old 03-19-2014, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks bugs !