Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

SKS mods

Old 03-06-2014, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default SKS mods

A friend of mine acquired an SKS 7.62. He doesn't know anything about guns but basically he asked me what to do. He wants to do some mods to it, maybe restore it etc etc. I have worked on numerous guns in the past some rifles, handguns,shotguns etc but never an SKS. I know a little about them and I have seen what some people do with them but Is there any tips you guys have? where can I buy parts, mods, etc for it, or what specifically can I do to the gun to make it "cool" as he calls it haha. Personally I would just clean it up, refinish the wood and leave it alone. but he wants me to do that and add a few upgrades to it. So let me know if you guys have any input.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

When you say you have worked on rifles, shotguns, and handguns, what type of work have you done?

My guess is little to none, considering your other post about gunsmithing is asking what bedding a stock, polishing a bolt, and a recrowning a barrel means.

For the SKS, there are tons of aftermarket parts available. 100% in NO WAY worth it to strip, sand, and refinish an SKS stock. Buy a $75-100 aftermarket polymer stock, especially if he's looking for that "tacticool" look.

Do not alter, polish, etc anything inside of the SKS. Very easy to make an SKS unsafe if you don't know what you're doing, and very difficult to actually make it run better unless you DO know exactly what you're doing.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

I have done work on guns for a while now. No I am not a master gunsmith. It started just cleaning guns of my own, then to cleaning other peoples guns, then to complete dissaembly of most guns for a legit cleaning. then it went to attaching scopes and boresighting, to adding small mods such as weaver rails, flashlights, etc etc, then to actually taking a stock smith and Wesson mp15 and upgrading more than just a scope or pistol grips or things of that nature and actually working on the gas port, and the trigger etc etc.and so now I am trying to take the next step which is why I asked those questions on the other post. I like knowledge. I don't just jump right in on something. So if you wanna say I have done little gunsmithing sure but ya gotta start somewhere . As far as the SKS goes, this is just a potential cool gun to make a project out of if the owner wants to and I wanna get as much knowledge as I can before I get into it. and it looks like its just gonna be a simple muzzle break and a scope that's it. I convinced him to just let me freshen it up, clean it, and just add 1 or 2 simple mods that's it. some guns shouldn't be all blinged out with accessories. especially an sks.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know the distinction is getting lost in recent years, but there's a difference in "accessorizing" and "gunsmithing". Also a difference in "servicing" and "gunsmithing" as well.

As I mentioned before, the SKS has huge aftermarket following, so accessorizing it will be incredibly simple. Also as I mentioned before, buy a few books on gunsmithing and watch Midwayusa's youtube videos. If you want to get serious about hobby smithing, beyond simple accessorizing and detail stripping (disassembly and reassembly), then these would be the places to start. Then if you want to get serious about gunsmithing, apprentice under a machinist or master gunsmith, and then go to a proper gunsmithing school.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:10 PM
Spike

x2 to what nomercy448 said.

I'm relatively new to servicing and accessorizing firearms but i bought an sks about 2 years ago and went to town on it. Here's what I did maybe it can give you some ideas!

I started with the stock I put a tapco 6 position adjustable stock - very easy instructions are included with most stocks and there of plenty of instructional videos on youtube. Next was the trigger I like many others experienced a bump fire with this rifle and did lots of research on the subject I found one very helpful video that showed me how to change my negative hammer to sear engagement to a positive one. which drastically reduces the chance of a bump fire, in the video it also taught me how to take some not all of the creep out and smooth the edges of the sear a bit for a crisper trigger pull. ( I am in no way an expert on the subject and I was well aware of the potential dangers of messing around with the trigger group. Do so at your own risk or take it to a professional. ) after that I purchased a rear aperture sight that mounted in the place of the take down pin on the receiver cover - also came with instructions, however i soon realized that every so often when taking it apart for cleaning it would shift the zero of the sight and I'd have to realign it. After that I re-blued some of the parts in the action after noticing some corrosion due to firing corrosive surplus ammo. And lastly I bought a rubber recoil buffer. I know these are very controversial and some people are skeptical and while I did not notice any difference in felt recoil I loved the way it tightened up the action I stopped getting jams due the springs increased tension I believe and in my mind it took way some of the metal on metal contact from the action spring it was 10$ CAD and for the piece of mind I found it to be worth every penny. There was one more mod I wished I could've done before I sold it and that was the infamous free floating firing pin that was known for getting stuck and letting the rifle fire full auto uncontrollably I believe you can get kits online to add a spring to the firing pin to help with the problem from what I've read some years of different variations came equipped with this spring returned firing pin. This problem can also be avoided by properly cleaning and lubricating the firearm but if the owner wishes its definitely worth looking into/

I hope that's what you were looking for, and good luck from a northerly neighbor!