Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
chiappa tripple threat >

chiappa tripple threat

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

chiappa tripple threat

Old 03-05-2014, 07:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default chiappa tripple threat

anybody familier with this gun. it sounds rediculas to me, I don't even know how you would be accurate on the two bottom barrels unless im gonna shoot da turdy point buck I really don't see a need for it

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/2629

Last edited by buckman11; 03-05-2014 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why would it be inaccurate? Why specifically would the bottom two barrels be inaccurate?

Regulated barrels have their hurdles, but they do work. Whether it's a Drillings, combo gun, SxS, or O/U, or even some coked up dream like this Triple Threat or Triple Crown, it's only a matter of how well the barrels are regulated at their selected range.

I'm not defending Chiappa in the least, as I think they're a company that's trying to capitalize on 1) standing on the shoulders of giants by producing cheap knock-offs, and 2) novelty by recreating novel firearm designs like this one. I'll admit, I've been tempted by a Rhino on a few occasions, and an 1887 Mare's Leg would be a hoot as a saddle gun, but I won't own one unless someday I find myself with more dollars than sense (tongue in cheek doesn't work via type).

Assuming the extra barrel weight doesn't throw off the balance and handling advantage typical of SxS and O/U shotguns, the Triple Crown might be an opportunity for waterfowlers to level the playing field to hold as many rounds as their autoloading and pump action counterparts. If the price were right on the Triple Threat, it'd be a 50% capacity upgrade over the SxS EAA/Baikal or Stoeger that many guys use for home defense.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:38 AM
Typical Buck

you know me and another guy was talkin about it the other day and we came to the conclusion that it could be a home defense weapon.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by buckman11
you know me and another guy was talkin about it the other day and we came to the conclusion that it could be a home defense weapon.
I assume that's why they relabeled the sporting length "Triple Crown" as the "Triple THREAT" when they cut the barrels down to 18.5". Won't debate whether a SxS, a triple barrel, or a semiauto scattergun make the better home defender here, but to each their own.

I will say this: SxS and O/U guns have an allure of simple and subtle beauty to their form. The Triple Threat/Crown has ZERO sex appeal.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Europeans have been making 3 and even 4 barreled guns for a long time. One of the reasons they do this is because they do a lot of "driven" hunts where they never know what will come by. It could be anything from Hares to Red Deer or Boar.

So, they do multi-barrel guns. Some will have a rifle barrel in the mix, some will be purely shotguns. Depends on what the customer wants. The concept is based on the idea they could load for birds/small game with on or 2 barrels and load for big game with the other by loading either buckshot or a slug. As to the accuracy, that depends on how good the guy that made it is. Europe has some of the best gunmakers on the planet and the quality of some can't be beat.

Now, that being said, I don't know anything about the gun in question on this post. I'm basing my comment on what I've seen overseas. For what it is worth, the strangest combo gun I ever say had a barrel in 12 ga, a barrel in 9.3x74 and a barrel in .22 Hornet. If a fellow had that gun in his hands and knew how to use it he could literally hunt anything he came up against with that firearm.