Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Help Me Pick One of These Four Rifles >

Help Me Pick One of These Four Rifles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help Me Pick One of These Four Rifles

Old 03-03-2014, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

Papaholmz,

If you think a Lexus is the best car then anything we say about guns won't matter.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was in a similar dilemma last fall when looking around. A gunsmith friend of mine told me to look at Tikka & Weatherby Vanguard 2 also. I have 2 Win. Mod 70s & love both of them but wanted something different. The Rem. 700s I held felt cheap, not like my 10 y.o. 700 BDL. The Vanguard 2 felt surprisingly good for a ~$600 (if I remember correctly) rifle. I had heard their quality control went downhill but I haven't shot a new one, so can't comment on that, but can tell you the bolt didn't fell as good as the one I've got.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:47 AM
Typical Buck

I like the vanguard looking for one in 240 wby to go with my 300 why. the mark 5 issue nice the best factory accurate rifle I own in 257 wby. hard to beat the rem 700 look at the ruger 77 also.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by buffybr

The specific rifle that you choose will have to be your choice, the one that feels and fits you best. You didn't give a lot of specifics about you and the hunting you plan on doing. A younger man can pack a heavier rifle around the hills much easier than us geezers, but you will feel more recoil in a lighter rifle than a heavier one. If all of your hunting will be limited to sitting in a stand, weight is not an issue.

This paragraph about sum it up, with the first sentence being the most important.

The 4 rifles you listed are all good guns. It's what you like best.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Savage_99
Papaholmz,

If you think a Lexus is the best car then anything we say about guns won't matter.
Touché.

I don't think it's the best car, I think it's a nice luxury car, which is what I think of a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe, a nice luxurious gun.

In either case, I'm now considering the Model 70 and a Howa 1500 based on all the feedback. Thanks all!
Old 03-08-2014, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by papaholmz
Touché.

I don't think it's the best car, I think it's a nice luxury car, which is what I think of a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe, a nice luxurious gun.

In either case, I'm now considering the Model 70 and a Howa 1500 based on all the feedback. Thanks all!
If you do go the M70 route I would definitely make sure that it is one of the newest production models - not the one made in Conn. I have a newer one and like it very much other than a slightly rough barrel. The ones made before they closed the old plant were not made as well (I have one of those as well).

Odd that you eliminated the M700, but to each his own. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

PapaHolmz:

check out the rifles @ www.gunsinternational.com www.gunbroker.com www.gunsamerica.com www.gunbroker.com I would go with a Winchester Model 70 Ultimate Shadow in a .270 WSM. I purchased a Model 70 Featherweight Deluxe in .270 WSM, and it is really nice. The .270 WSM gives me a little more power than the .270 Win., and that comes in handy. Good Luck.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't consider ANY of the cheap Rems! MUCH better guns in sub $500 price ranges available by Ruger & Savage than Rem. Now the mid & upper line Rems ARE a little better guns! Sadly the Wins are about as hit/miss as the Rems. I'd recommend the Browning Stainless Stalker over ANY of the sub-$1k Rems & Wins!

That being said, of the guns you listed I'd take the Vanguard EVERYDAY & twice on Sunday!

Last edited by HatchieLuvr; 03-11-2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

Yes. Don't go cheap! You will regret.
700 BDL stainless 270win
Old 03-14-2014, 05:14 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
...of the guns you listed I'd take the Vanguard EVERYDAY & twice on Sunday!
And that's what I finally ended up going with. It's shipping to my local FFL dealer this coming week; can't wait to get it!

Now it's time to start looking for a scope.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.