Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Guns
Your choice for home defense... >

Your choice for home defense...

Community
Guns Buy, sell, or trade your guns and gun accessories here.

Your choice for home defense...

Old 01-24-2014, 04:31 PM
Spike

Default Your choice for home defense...

I believe the Taurus Judge would be a good option.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:15 PM
Spike

True, I also like the rack sound of a shotgun as a peacekeeper.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:00 AM
Fork Horn

Ak47 for me. Living out in the country where police response is delayed to 30 minutes or so you're on your own. Home defense may turn into property defense and a pistol won't cut it. No neighbors to endanger with a bullet going through walls.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:25 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bugflipper
Ak47 for me. Living out in the country where police response is delayed to 30 minutes or so you're on your own. Home defense may turn into property defense and a pistol won't cut it. No neighbors to endanger with a bullet going through walls.
That's a good point. Never even thought of a situation like that but I live close to the city.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:30 AM
Typical Buck

ive got a sawed off mossberg 500 and a 1911 within reach of my bed.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ruger security six is my defense gun.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:11 AM
Typical Buck

Well, I guess I just voted with my pocketbook. Bought a Sig 2022 in 9mm, capacity is 15. May have bought something else on an unlimited budget, but I believe its a good pistol regardless.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Esuomm1
True, I also like the rack sound of a shotgun as a peacekeeper.
Save the sound effects for the movies.

Racking it means you didn't have it loaded, which means it wasn't ready when you needed it. Also means you're giving up your advantage of surprise, which is just dumb. Seems like a fellow might feel mighty stupid (among other things), if he racked his shotgun to startle a robber, ended up with a failure to feed, then got shot by the armed intruder.

Handgun on the nightstand for immediate dangers, shotgun beneath the bed to investigate the rest of the house. The Judge is a perfectly good option for a nightstand handgun.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

2 ways to look at that--racking a pump shotgun.

At the Sheriff's Office I used to work at, Patrol Deputies responded to a man on his front porch with a gun call. Deputies responded and began taking positions while starting to talk with the man.

A Patrol Deputy who was last to the call (and also on the SWAT Team) arrived and took cover behind a tree. He quickly realized he had forgot to chamber a round in the shotgun (most departments leave the chamber empty while in the patrol car) and racked a round with that sound familiar all over the world.

The man with the gun on his porch heard the Deputy rack the shotgun, put his pistol down and his hands up. After he was handcuffed, he told Deputies that "I KNEW YOU GUYS WERE SERIOUS WHEN THAT DEPUTY RACKED THAT SHOTGUN!"

So yes, in some applications/situations, racking a shotgun can have a peaceful resolution to a situation.

In the case of "home defense," if an armed intruder comes into your house when it's dark, racking the shotgun may scare him/her but it also gives away your location because of the same racking sound. If it happens during the day, you still have the issue of confirming your location by the racking sound (if the intruder hasn't seen you yet), the potential for jamming the shotgun although that's fairly rare and the time delay of raising your shotgun back on target since the vast majority of people do not train to reload pump shotguns while aiming at their target.

Bugflipper made an excellent point about a rifle being especially useful if you're in the country and expect potentially longer range shots. Scottycoyote mentioned a shotgun and a pistol within reach and that seams like a very wise precaution.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll offer $50 for your Judge. Since this is the Classifieds I'm guessing you have something to sell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.