Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Marlin 336 sight adjustment. need help >

Marlin 336 sight adjustment. need help

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Marlin 336 sight adjustment. need help

Old 11-06-2013, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default Marlin 336 sight adjustment. need help

How can i go about adjusting the front sight? I hope not to have to buy a $150 sight puller, but i can't really move it. My gun is shooting about 8" left at 25 yards.

any good ways to accomplish this? i do like the stock sights but would be open to a replacement set (front and rear) that could be adjusted much easier..
Old 11-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Typically the windage (left to right) adjustment is made at the rear sight. Move the rear sight to the right. I'm guessing it is mounted to the barrel in a dovetail slot. simply tap it with a drift (or anything else that is handy and made of brass or other soft metal), and that will do it. You can put a piece of tape on the barrel and reference it to the sight in some way, so that you will be able to confirm that the sight is actually moving. It won't take all that much.

Anyway, move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to go (to the right in your case). If you do adjust the front sight, move in the opposite direction you want the bullet to go.

I have a Marlin 1895 and I removed the rear sight and put a Williams peep on it, which is awesome in the woods.

Last edited by UncleNorby; 11-06-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Dominant Buck

I have the 336 Marlin...the sight in the front is stationary..all adjustments are made from the rear sight. I bought the fiber optic sites for mine...they are great for low lighting but the site itself is cheaply made.....

If your gun is shooting 8 inches to the left..you will need to move your rear sight about 1/8 of an inch to the right.

Last edited by Chuck7; 11-06-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:19 AM
Typical Buck

i didn't think the rear site moved. its attached to the barrel with a step ramp. The front site can be moved with a site puller. At least that's what the guy at my pro shop did.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Hold on a minute while i get my 30-30 ....let me look again...stay right here. Lol

OK..i looked. I took off the site that came with it so i really forget how the old site worked. The site i have on there now has 2 set screws to adjust height and windage..However..i do know for certain that the front site is supposed to be stationary...however, if you must move it...it will move by getting a small punch and tapping it..i know because i had to remove it to put on my new sites. When i got the new site i had to file on the new front site to get it to slide in the slot...that was a pain..took about 20 minutes

Ps..you can tap your front site if you need to...it's a very tight fit and should not slide after you make your adjustment...my 30-30 shoots fantastic...kills deer on spot BUT not hogs..they need my 270

Last edited by Chuck7; 11-06-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

The step ramp can be moved forward and back. It's puropose is to change the elevation of your POI. The rear sight is mounted to the barrel in a dovetail slot.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Marlin's have had several different sight set ups available. Most typical is a dovetail mounted rear sight with a step ramp for elevation, with a screwed on base with a dovetail mounted front blade.

If you have this set up, I personally would drift the front sight and keep the step ramp centered on the barrel in the rear sight.

Brute force method: place the barrel in a padded vise, use a brass punch and a mallet to drift the sight in the dovetail (opposite of where you want the bullet strike to move).

Poor man's sight puller: Padded bar clamp with a drilled and tapped hole near the top edge, small bolt mounted in hole. Mount the barrel in the padded clamp with the bolt positioned to push against the sight. Place a piece of cardboard or leather between the sight and the bolt, turn the bolt to press the sight.

Works with a pair of flat grip vise grips also.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Typical Buck

8 inches left at 25 ??

Your barrel is bent or your rear sight is way way off center. Center it in the dovetail groove and start over.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Typical Buck

Here's how to "adjust the sights" on your ol Marlin!

http://www.weaver-mounts.com/optics/...pes/classic_k/

HL
Old 11-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
8 inches left at 25 ??

Your barrel is bent or your rear sight is way way off center. Center it in the dovetail groove and start over.

8" is a lot at 25 yards with fixed sights..............

Start with your rear sight !

BTW - I own a 336C in .35 rem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.