Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
H&R Ultra Slug Gun 20ga Misfires >

H&R Ultra Slug Gun 20ga Misfires

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

H&R Ultra Slug Gun 20ga Misfires

Old 10-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Spike

Default H&R Ultra Slug Gun 20ga Misfires

I was at the range with my H&R Ultra Slug 20 ga and started to experience random misfires. It happened with Hornady SST, Federal, and Remington. I thought it was bad ammo, but I was able to get them to fire when I tried a second time. Took it to the local gunsmith and he said it sounded like a bad hammer spring. When he got it apart, he said it looked like a brand new gun. The spring was fine, but it was dry as a bone. He said it look like it left the factory with out a bit of lube. He lubed it and tested it and it worked fine..Anyone else out there having similar issues. I call H&R and they said to send it back and they would take a look. It would be free it they determined it to be a warranty issue. I'm worried that this gun will not fire when I need it most....
Old 10-17-2013, 08:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

It could be one of a few things but I am going to say the barrel is machined a slight bit too deep and is allowing the shells to sit too deep and therefore the pin isn't striking sharply enough.

I will guess you are having the issue when using 2-3/4" shells. Using 3" will probobly make the problem disappear but you should not have to use just 3" shells to have reliable discharge.

Also Remington seems to have an issue of setting their primers too deep and IMO hasn't done a thing to address it.

The firing pin channel may also be too tight. A little feathering with a file could help.

Additionally the firing pin could be a bit short.

Make sure there is no crud or even a speck of anything around the transfer bar.

Good luck
Old 11-15-2017, 10:42 AM
Spike

Default soft firing pin issues

Hello all - new to this forum. Recently I worked on the same issue for a friend of mine, his 20 Ga Ultra Slug Hunter failed to fire consistently. I am in the manufacturing business. We took apart the gun and ran tests on the firing pin. We found the hardness to be at 32-33 which is way too soft to the spec of 46-48 range it should be. I sent a print off to have some made by a key supplier with the HT specifications. A week later we installed the new firing pin to the required hardness and it has shot every time since.

I do know this supplier makes these components for all the top leaders in the firearms industry. Check them out if you need some help.

Hope this info is useful. Thank you for reading.

www.schmidtool.com