Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Bolt gun help >

Bolt gun help

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bolt gun help

Old 09-21-2013, 06:01 AM
Spike

Default Bolt gun help

Need help making a descision on rifle. Like the Ruger American and the Tikka T3 lite... Was thinking about the vanguard also but heard about a recall... Thinking about a 270 or a 7mm mag. All of my hunting is in Mn and West Centeral WI. Thanks for the help epl
Old 09-21-2013, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

270 will be plenty. Go with the vanguard. Weatherby stands behind their products 100%.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:54 AM
Old 09-21-2013, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

It looks like there are two recalls affecting the Vanguards, the first involving rifles manufactured between 1970 and 1993, and the second affecting stainless steel rifles ONLY manufactured between 2010 and 2011.

If you're buying new, neither should concern you. If you're trading or buying used, it'd be a good idea to put your google-fu on and look for the serial numbers for each recall that might affect the rifle.

I know next to nothing about the Tikka or the Ruger, but the Tikka seems to have developed a strong following, and the Ruger seems to be getting much better reviews than most "entry-level" rifles within its price point. I own a Vanguard, its accuracy is good for a "hunting rifle" and for the money, it's been a lot of rifle. You might note strong similarities between the Vanguard and the Howa 1500 - they're not accidental. Nearly the same rifle.

I own neither caliber, but my relatives in WI seem to be fans of both. I don't think you could go wrong with either. If you're hunting from a stand over a farm field, I'd probably opt for the 7 Mag. If you're hunting in the woods, I'd probably rather have the .270. But, either one is probably going to work well for you.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

If customer service means anything, buy the Ruger. you won't regret it.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Typical Buck

I own a Tikka T3 Stainless Lite in 270WSM and absolutely love it...getting ready to start my 4th deer season with it. It was accurate out of the box with factory ammo and several different handloads and has remained accurate to date. I love the trigger (easily adjusted), the bolt is butter smooth and it handles nicely. I have many rifles to choose from, some more expensive and some less expensive and I can say this is one of my fav's and my go to whitetail gun. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

That being said...my daughter and niece both hunt with Weatherby Vanguards in .243 and they have been great rifles for them...accurate with just about everything we've shoved down the barrels and they handle nicely. The Vanguards are made by Howa and are the same as the Howa 1500.

I don't own nor have I handled a Ruger American.

As far as caliber goes? I love my 270 (a Rem 700 BDL) and it will handle anything in North America...they are mild on recoil, easy to find ammo for (a plus if you are not a reloader) and generally accurate. I also have a 7mm Mag (also a Rem 700 BDL)...it kicks like a mule, isn't as easy to find ammo for, ammo is more expensive for it and did I mention it kicks like a mule and has been a safe queen for more than a couple years now? I'd take the 270 over the 7mm hands down any day of the week.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

Like others have replied, either a .270 Win or a 7mm Rem mag will easily kill any game animal you might encounter in either Wisc or Minn. The 7 mil will shoot slightly heavier bullets than a .270, and depending on the bullet it will shoot a little faster and flatter than the .270. I doubt that an animal shot with either one would know the difference.

I also have both a .270 Win and a 7 mm Rem Mag (a Rem 700 BDL). My .270 weighs 7 3/4 lbs, and my 7 mil weighs 9 lbs. The felt recoil from both rifles is about the same. I have also shot sub-moa groups with both rifles.

I've taken the 7 RM on two hunts in Africa, an Arctic caribou and musk ox hunt, and for elk and antelope here in Montana. My .270 has basically been a safe queen since I won it at a shoot at our local gun range many years ago.

I have several friends that hunt with a .270 Win, and I have seen them easily kill Pronghorn antelope, Mule deer, Elk, and American buffalo with them.

About 4 years ago, I decided I needed a new .30 caliber rifle, so I bought and customized a Weatherby Vanguard in .300 Wby. It has become my favorite rifle. It also shoots sub moa groups, and it's felt recoil is less than either of the rifles that I mentioned above. I have used it on hunts in Texas, Africa, and for elk here in Montana.

As to the original question, the .270 Win is a good cartridge, the 7 mm Rem Mag is a very good cartridge, Ruger makes some good firearms, the Weatherby Vanguard is a good rifle, I don't have any experience with Tikka rifles. With either cartridge, I would want a 24" barrel.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mr.mc54
If customer service means anything, buy the Ruger. you won't regret it.
Agreed opinion.