Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Which gun to sell? >

Which gun to sell?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which gun to sell?

Old 09-15-2013, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default Which gun to sell?

I've been Mr. Lucky at a local gun raffle, winning 4 rifles in 4 years. One of them has to go. I'm keeping the savage .17hmr
So here's what I've got:
Tikka T3 lite, wood stock, .338 federal New in box
Savage Axis w/bushnell scope 7mm-08 2 boxes shot.
Mossburg 100 ATR .270 New in box

I've got two young boys (10,8) who will potentially be hunters. I shoot a .270, and my dad has a A-bolt .270 that he will pass on to one of them at hunting age if they wish. So in some aspects, keeping the ATR makes sense. Pretty easy shopping for ammo. Since we will probably stick to whitetail, and perhaps get into black bear, it's a fine caliber.

I do however like the Axis in 7mm-08 and was thinking about using it this fall. It shoots very well now that I brought trigger pull down to 3.5 lbs.

The Tikka is the nicest rifle by far, but I don't really need a .338 and I would be able to get the most money out of it. Plus .338 federal ammo isn't exactly easy to find. yet it's purdy, slick, and from what I've read shoots like a dream. kinda looks good on my gun rack.

I'm sure there are dozens of opinions out there, but I'll listen to them all, let me know which you would sell and why. Oh, and here's one other catch, both boys are lefties, all rifles (including my dads) are righties. Thoughts?
Old 09-15-2013, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd sell the Tikka and Mossberg. The 7mm-08 is a great, easy shooting caliber and you can always pick up another .270 later on (should you so desire).
Old 09-15-2013, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

Cheeseheads and your gun raffles,lol. Used to live up there, and remember plenty of hunters banquets and the gun raffles. I would sell them all to me, as they are all garbage and worth nothing. I'll take them all off your hands, free of charge! IMO, unless you already reload, I might consider ditching the Tikka 338 federal. Keep the 270 as you already have one yourself, and your dad has one as well. Makes ammo easy to buy for hunting trips. 7mm-08 is well established and is a good low recoil round as well. 338 federal is not a bad round, and if you reload, a non-issue. Not sure on how well it has taken root, so ammo availability may be a tad harder some day.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:17 AM
Typical Buck

The Tikka is by far the best of the 3 in terms of quality and accuracy (adjustable trigger, smooth as butter bolt and accurate as all get out....yeah I own and love one!)...but it's also the least easy to acquire ammo for and the lest desirable for your needs. So with that, I'd sell the Tikka...it will also very likely bring the most money for resale, especially being NIB.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, get rid of the .338...

Keep that 7mm-08, it's one of the finest calibers out there...My brother has had a Model 7 since 1980, has killed hundreds of deer with it as well as a few black bears...That is one caliber you will love...The only drawback is ammo cost and finding it in some areas...The good thing is, my brother has used the 140gr CoreLokts and they work well...So if you can find them and it likes them you are good to go...
Old 09-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

Have you thought about trading all 3 for a rifle you want?
Old 09-15-2013, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

If you don't need/want a .338, the answer is obvious.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you answered your own q. If selling one, the .338 is the one. Personally...that is what I would do, I have no use for a gun like that - sounds like you don't either.

Regarding the lefty thing...Assuming they are left eye dominant also - (check that first) they would probably end up being a much better shot when they shoot the way of their dominant eye, and dominant hand. But changing is certainly not necessary. Really up to you. Since they are actual Lefty's..it may be eaiser for them to handle also.

My daughter is right handed...shoots right handed, but is left eye dominant. She's a good shot, could she be better if she switched? Probably, but she doesn't care enough about it for me to buy her a LH gun and get her to re-train herself left handed. The key for shooting gun with your off dominant eye, you have to close the dominant eye when aiming/shooting.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:16 PM
Typical Buck

I'll sell one of my rifles when my wife prys my cold dead fingers from around it and heads off to Casper to blow the money.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by c-rad
Have you thought about trading all 3 for a rifle you want?
Well, I want to keep one at least, how many guys do you know that have won 4 rifles in 4 years? Gotta keep one freebie.

My concern with trading is that regardless that two are NIB, I'll still get burned on price because technically they are 'used'. 2 for 1 isn't what most dealers want. So I guess I'd rather sell, perhaps getting a tad more than I would on a trade, and in reality I'd rather pass the savings directly to the buyer rather than see my rifles with $100 higher price tag than they gave me for it in the store the next week.

Well, as of now, I think that all three are "for sale". Once one sells I'll think about what to do with the remaining two, which to sell, which to keep.
Anyone in/near WI that is interested in one of them, send me a PM. and maybe we can make something work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.