Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Recommendations for kids rifle >

Recommendations for kids rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Recommendations for kids rifle

Old 08-21-2013, 09:17 PM
Spike

Default Recommendations for kids rifle

My 6 year old is dead set on deer hunting this year, so I've been shopping around for the best rifle option for her. She's gotten pretty deadly with her BB gun and I plan on having her shoot my Ruger 10/22 next. However, it's been more than 5 years since I worked at the gun counter at Bass Pro, so I don't know if there is anything new out there. I sold a lot of the Youth H&R single-shot rifles when I worked there. I really like the fact that you can get a Rossi with 4 different calibers, but the gun itself seems pretty heavy. I've looked at a few youth model Remington's and Savages, but they still seem a little big. Any one have any opinions on a good first-time kid rifle. I would think a .243 would be best, but not opposed to a .223. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nate
Old 08-21-2013, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

1st, what is legal in your state (caliber wise), not trying to ignite a caliber war here. Just what is legal.

2nd, is she old enough to have a license? If not, that ends it right there.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, .243 would be best, I've killed over 200 deer with mine through the years...

If legal, a .223 or 22-250 will also get the job done...I used a 22-250 back in the 60s and 70s for population control on our farms...Blood trails were sparse but they didn't go far with lung shots and dropped with neck shots...Now that you can get a 60 gr Nosler Partition for them they are much more potent...My niece has used one for the past 10 years and I've seen the damage they do...With high shoulder shots, she gets exits and the deer drop...She has killed a couple of dozen with this setup and hasn't lost any...
Old 08-22-2013, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Although I like the idea, I hunted with a young man a few years ago who carried one of the Rossis. It was unbelievably heavy, and he was miserable by the end of the first day.

I see young hunters at the range frequently, many of them reaching for all it's worth to hang onto an adult-sized rifle. With weight also a consideration, I think what I'd recommend first is finding a youth-sized platform. Most manufacturers offer some version of "youth" rifle, and some (like the Howa) may also come with an adult-sized stock for later.

Good advice to check your local laws before hunting with a .223. I personally prefer the .243. Recoil isn't usually intimidating, and although I have a number of chamberings to choose from now, it's the .243 that goes to the field after deer and pronghorns at my house. Other mild cartridges you might consider, but which are going to recoil a bit more (thanks to launching heavier bullets) are the 7mm-08 and .308.

Good luck!
Old 08-22-2013, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

I think you are on the right track. either of the three calibers mentioned above will work. My boys both started off with the rossi youth model in .223. They been shooting it since they were 5. Not too heavy and you can carry it into the woods for her.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:26 AM
Spike

I'm in Missouri and any center-fire cartridge is legal. So .223 and up will work. She can hunt starting at 6, so that's not a problem either. My question isn't so much with the caliber as it is with the actual gun. I'm trying to explore all my youth rifle options other than the Rossi, and scoped-bolt action rifles. I've heard that I may be able to get a Thompson Center in a youth model, but I'm sure that's gonna be heavy as well? Any other ideas on makes and models?

Thanks for the help,
Nate
Old 08-22-2013, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nate_32
I'm in Missouri and any center-fire cartridge is legal. So .223 and up will work. She can hunt starting at 6, so that's not a problem either. My question isn't so much with the caliber as it is with the actual gun. I'm trying to explore all my youth rifle options other than the Rossi, and scoped-bolt action rifles. I've heard that I may be able to get a Thompson Center in a youth model, but I'm sure that's gonna be heavy as well? Any other ideas on makes and models?

Thanks for the help,
Nate
Does it really matter if the rifle is heavy? If a child gets a shot it will most probably be from a solid rest in a blind. Weight may be a very good thing.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:57 AM
Spike

Yeah, more than likely I will be the one carrying it! I just don't want to buy something then, find out about a better option later. Getting 4 barrels with the Rossi may be the best bet for that price range, I'd say. I've got a few months to think about it, but if you think of any other models, please let me know.

Thanks,
Old 08-22-2013, 06:00 AM
Typical Buck

Don't set up a young shooter for failure with a cheap gun with a bum trigger. (I noticed that New England Handi Rifle was mentioned in a previous post)

I'd go with a Rem Mod 7 in .243. And get the stock cut to fit right if necessary.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

What kind of BB gun is your daughter shooting? I have a 6 year old girl and need to get her started.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.