Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
9 mm question >

9 mm question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

9 mm question

Old 07-15-2013, 10:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default 9 mm question

I am considering buying a Ruger LC-series pistol as a gift for someone who is a little recoil sensitive. She has fired full-sized 9's before and is ok with them. The LC9 is a lot smaller, of course (about half the weight of a military Beretta, for example). How significant of an increase in recoil is there with the smaller gun? I'm debating between the LC9 and the LC380.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a Beretta 92 FS and my wife has a Taurus 905 9mm revolver. There is a difference in recoil but it doesn't seem like a lot.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

My wife carries a Kahr CW9 which is about the same weight as the Ruger LC I am guessing...my wife also shoots my Baretta 92FS and my Browning Hi-Power in 40...she says the recoil difference is noticeable but not so bad it affects her accuracy.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ruger created the LC380 because of the recoil that the LC9 has. Take a look also at the Walther PK380, it's an awesome choice for someone who's recoil sensitive. The wife of a close friend teaches a women's only self defense/gun handling class at the local range. So many women bought a PK380 after training with her, that the owner of a local gun shop gave her one because of all the referrals.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks, everyone, for the responses. I looked it up and the Kahr is actually a couple ounces lighter. The Walther is interesting. I own a very old (WWI era??) Walther .32, and have never really looked at their modern guns.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also, check out a Sig P232.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Typical Buck

I took a look around the net at the P232 -- looks nice, but a little pricier and a little harder to find.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Dominant Buck

I have the lcp, lc9, keltec p11, and taurus 709 slim. My wife carries the taurus. I do not care for the Lc9 trigger. The lcp is an easy shooter, and with +p 380s, it is plenty gun. If i had to rank the guns i have, in the subcompact 9s it would be.
1st the Taurus pt709 slim
2nd the keltec p11
3rd the lc9.
Thats just my personal preference, which is what is important to the person who is going to carry it. All three are good guns.

I personally carry a Beretta px storm subcompact 40 and a millenium 145 pro 45.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Typical Buck

After much further review, went with the LC380. It will be my daughter's first handgun (since she got out of the Army, anyway). She's not overly recoil sensitive, but I wanted to get her something that she'd enjoy shooting, not just something she could handle, but that would also still be useful for personal defense. As usual, everything is a tradeoff.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Murdy
After much further review, went with the LC380. It will be my daughter's first handgun (since she got out of the Army, anyway). She's not overly recoil sensitive, but I wanted to get her something that she'd enjoy shooting, not just something she could handle, but that would also still be useful for personal defense. As usual, everything is a tradeoff.
I like the lcp as well. Much more than the lc9. Mine will go with my daughter when she leaves for college. That and a Mossberg pump.

My wife likes her taurus 709 slim, when she cant carry her Colt Cobra stubby 38 special.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.