Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Please suggest a 30-06 >

Please suggest a 30-06

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Please suggest a 30-06

Old 07-09-2013, 10:19 PM
Spike

Yea, sometimes I go off and get funky.
So many cool guns...so little space in the safe.
Dave
Old 07-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Spike

SAKO heh. That is probably be a jewel of a gun. Seems you've done well hopes it turns out great for you.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

Dave,

Hawaii is a paradise. Lucky you!

I have shot the 30-06 and other similar rifles since the 1950's and today my favorite hunting rifle is so chambered!

I like it as much for the quality and features of the specific rifle. I have other 30-06's including my late dad's.

The control round feed bolt action 30-06's with a M70 type safety is what I find best. You should get the Sako, Tikka or what rifle you want. Keep in mind that you may get more rifles later. I still am after half a century or more.

Get what's available that you like now. Make sure it was a soft recoil pad and the LOP fits you.

Shop for a pre-64 M70 Featherweight with a soft pad that fit's you.

The third rifle from the top, an MS, is one of my 30-06's.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Spike

Hawaii is nice. It's a melting pot and that's kind of cool. Lot's of very kind and loving people. And, lot's of hot chicks to look at (I'm a married, bald dude...but still fun to look).

Anyway, nice guns. I was kind of hoping I would reach critical mass on the guns before too long. From what you are saying I should be planning for a second safe. Who knows, maybe that new Sako will be the perfect hunting rifle and I can cross that off my list.

It's all good.

Dave
Old 07-13-2013, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

Besides those big game hunting rifles there are guns for varmints, targets and other reasons.

I also enjoyed sailing for many years. Lucky you on those islands!

Old 07-17-2013, 08:43 PM
Spike

You should look into the Howa rifles. Those rifles are fairly inexpensive and they shoot pretty well and very durable. Ive guided many hunters within the last couple years and this seems to be a popular rifle. The trigger seems to be great also, which is a big plus. You should be able to pick one up for less than 1000 and then splurge on the scope.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:42 PM
Spike

Nice looking boat there Savage99.

Thanks for the Howa tip. Those look nice too.

I'm waiting on the Sako to arrive. My permit to purchase long guns expired and I started the renewal process today. That will take two weeks. Once that comes in I can apply to register the Sako. I think that only takes one week (compared to 2 weeks for handguns). So, I should get it in about 3 weeks. How's that for gun laws?

Most of you guys can probably walk out the store with your gun. Oh well, I've pretty much accepted it...
Dave

Dave