Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
What can I use a 300 win mag for? >

What can I use a 300 win mag for?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What can I use a 300 win mag for?

Old 06-09-2013, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

all the previous answers are completely correct. one thing though, a 75 yard shot on a whitetail makes for a significant exit wound so you may experience slightly more damaged meat than if you shot with a lighter cartridge. love mine!
Old 06-09-2013, 08:18 PM
Typical Buck

When I first started hunting, I only had one rifle, a .30-06. I loaded 150 gr bullets for deer and pronghorn antelope, and 180 gr bullets for elk. Back then, I lived in northwestern Colorado and most deer and elk tags were OTC with concurrent seasons. Occasionally I would be deer hunting and run into an elk or elk hunting and find a muley buck and with proper bullet placement into the animals lungs, either bullet killed the animal that I shot at.

When I moved to Montana, I built a .257 Ackley for deer, pronghorns and sheep, and I rechambered my .30-06 to .30 Gibbs which shot 180 gr Partitions at .300 Win velocities for elk and moose. I hunted with that combination for almost 30 years.

A few years ago, I replaced my .30 Gibbs with a .300 Weatherby which shoots 180 gr and 168 gr Barnes TSX very accurately and 168 gr TTSX bullets a little better.

With these Barnes 168 gr bullets, I've shot a variety of North American and South African animals from a 30 lb Klipspringer to a 700 lb bull elk.

I don't feel that you need premium type bullets like the Barnes TSX for deer, but at .300 magnum velocities, I have found that these bullets do not fragment and make large exit holes like conventional bullets.

For a handloader there is a wide variety of .30 caliber bullets from 90 gr plinkers to 220 gr and heavier bullets for very large animals. Match the bullet to the animals that you are hunting and use the ones that are most accurate in your rifle and you're .300 Win is good for just about any game animal world wide.

Last edited by buffybr; 06-09-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

The .300 WM is a great hunting round...capable of taking anything in North America (and a lot of stuff in Africa)... ***I would prefer something a bit bigger for the brown bears and some African species have a .375 H&H minimum***

Find a bullet style and weight your rifle likes (such as a 180 grain Nosler Partition) and go hunting...antelope, deer (esp. the Coues deer), elk, sheep, etc. Probably a bit of overkill on prairie dogs...though I have seen it done...

The .300 is a very versatile cartridge...
Old 07-28-2013, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pretty sure u can hunt anything with it but doubt there be much left of the easter bunny
Old 07-28-2013, 08:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Also i feel ur pain in movin i came out west to visit with my parents plan was move to kentucky iv hunted there before but we ended up in kansas and its a diff hunting the indiana which is were iv been hunting for 8 years
Old 07-29-2013, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Everything from gophers up. There are many skinned gophers that have been mangled by me with the 300. Great off season practice.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hope this comment wasn't previously made but if you aren't reloading yet look into reduced recoil loads for lighter game.