Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Need some rifle advice! >

Need some rifle advice!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need some rifle advice!

Old 05-07-2013, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's my $.02 on the idea of taking 600-700 yards shots.

As Ridgerunner stated, and in my view, it will take a great rifle-scope set-up and I'll add to this a lot of practice to become proficient enough to day in and day out take game cleanly at distances such as this.

Considering that most non-customized rifles, including the Savage 111, can be expected to do not much better than 1 MOA regardless of ammo, hand loaded or factory. Even with a .75 MOA set up, you are already looking at about 3"-5" variation in point of impact at 500-600-700 yards. Add any sort of wiggle on the shooter's part and you can add another few to several inches. And managing drop ... say about 3 feet +/- of elevation hold over for typical 180 gr. , 300 Win. Mag. load and say a cross wind of 10 mph .... another 6"-8" of correction. Add a racing heart from hustling to get into position or a touch of adrenalin induced "buck fever" .... 500-700 yards is not so easy a task, even with an ideal rest.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Typical Buck

i agree. nothing wrong with the 3006 for what you want to hunt.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by emtrescue6
Long story...but IMO the 30-06 is the most overrated caliber there ever was...I'll take any of the 308's in my safe over an -06 any day...just me. Two bad experiences years ago (which were both probably the result of crappy bullets more than the rifle... now that I am a little more educated)...I don't need a heavier bullet...150's and 165's do everything I have ever asked of them and everything I have ever needed...just more accurately and with less recoil. But then again, I am not commonly considered a heavy bullet guy...tend to shoot at the lighter end of the spectrum in most my rifles. Fast and flat...some people don't like the 270 the way I do...I just don't like the -06.
How is it over rated?it does exactly what its suppose to,bad bullets can cause failier in any caliber.i stated i perfur the 180 grains because i like to use the same load for everything from moose to large bodied deer.if you dont like the 06 thats fine i was just curiouse if it was for a valid reason or just out because of preferance.the 06 is not over rated one bit,it deserves all the recognition it gets,its earned it in ways most other calibers never will.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:44 PM
Typical Buck

My rem 700 in 06 also shoots the 180 grains alot better then lighter bullets.so i shoot what the gun likes
Old 05-11-2013, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by skinnnner
How is it over rated?it does exactly what its suppose to,bad bullets can cause failier in any caliber.i stated i perfur the 180 grains because i like to use the same load for everything from moose to large bodied deer.if you dont like the 06 thats fine i was just curiouse if it was for a valid reason or just out because of preferance.the 06 is not over rated one bit,it deserves all the recognition it gets,its earned it in ways most other calibers never will.
I did say in my opinion it's the most overrated caliber out there...and in my opinion it is...you are free to your opinions and I won't criticize them...as I said, my 308 loaded with 150g or 165g bullets will do everything the '06 will and will do so more accurately...as proven many a time over. It's not personal, I just dislike the '06 and feel it's highly overrated.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

I did say in my opinion it's the most overrated caliber out there...and in my opinion it is...you are free to your opinions and I won't criticize them...as I said, my 308 loaded with 150g or 165g bullets will do everything the '06 will and will do so more accurately...as proven many a time over. It's not personal, I just dislike the '06 and feel it's highly overrated.
Intreasting considering they both shoot the same bullet the 06 just does it a bit faster,as far as accuracy goes i think the advantage the 08 has is of no real diffrence to 99.9 percent of people that hunt.but to each their own,the 06 will always have a place in my gun collection.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

Id also like to add carlos hathcock did great things with both calibers.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:34 AM
Typical Buck

Intreasting considering they both shoot the same bullet the 06 just does it a bit faster,as far as accuracy goes i think the advantage the 08 has is of no real diffrence to 99.9 percent of people that hunt.but to each their own,the 06 will always have a place in my gun collection.
And that my friend is why there are so many different calibers! I am also a big fan of the WSM and WSSM calibers, which many are not. I have a safe-and-a-half full of firearms...some have turned into safe queens (like my custom shop Rem 700 7mm Mag is one such gun...I hate it...it kicks like a mule and just isn't pleasant to shoot...I'll trade it off at some point)...I'll use my 7mm-08 to take advantage of the high BC bullets offered in .284...LOL. I am not completely opposed to the '06 parent case as I really love my .270, just the '06...LOL Happy hunting Skinner!
Old 05-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

And that my friend is why there are so many different calibers! I am also a big fan of the WSM and WSSM calibers, which many are not. I have a safe-and-a-half full of firearms...some have turned into safe queens (like my custom shop Rem 700 7mm Mag is one such gun...I hate it...it kicks like a mule and just isn't pleasant to shoot...I'll trade it off at some point)...I'll use my 7mm-08 to take advantage of the high BC bullets offered in .284...LOL. I am not completely opposed to the '06 parent case as I really love my .270, just the '06...LOL Happy hunting Skinner!
My main rifle these days is also a 270 wsm,happy hunting to you also
Old 05-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

My main rifle these days is also a 270 wsm,happy hunting to you also
Yeah my day-o-day all around favorite rifle in the safe these days is my 270WSM....love love love it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.