Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Who knows

Old 04-21-2013, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fritz1
The manufactors have cut down production to drive up prices.
I think that's part of the equation, for sure. The other part is that the political winds are blowing people - once again - to hoard ammunition. And it's not just the activities on a national level, states are now causing a stir, too.

Slippery slope for manufacturers. Anyone else notice how much cheap steel-cased stuff is showing up for not-so-cheap prices and being gobbled up instantaneously? I suspect we're going to see manufacturers overseas who'll see the market gone crazy and step up to fill the holes that ATK, Winchester, and Remington have so "shrewdly" created for themselves on the supply side. Yesterday, I watched people shrink from the sale of new centerfire and rimfire rifles after the question from the prospective buyer, "...do you have ammo for it?"

It'll be interesting to see how all of this plays out. Those of us who watched the game last time probably won't be too surprised.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think that it is a lack of supply. It is phenominal demand.

I have a long time, great buddy that runs a rather small hunting/fishing shop. Psecializes more in hand guns than long guns He has been buying about 5X the quantity of ammo that he did 12-18 months ago, especially in the popular hand gun and "military" style rifle cartridges ... and it is flying off the shelves. Can't hardly keep auto loading hand guns in the case. He limits sales as his stock is depleted so that he can serve as many different customers as practical to do so.

Told me that he could sell all of the militsry style autoloading rifles that he could get his hands on, even with a profit margin markup of 50% more than "normal", as fast as he could get them. He has been able to get only about 10-12/week as of late. Everyone is essentially presold to folks on a waiting list.

He had probably 300-400 "used" rifles and shotguns a year ago, some almost junk. I was in there 3 weeks ago ... his used gun racks were all but empty. Maybe 15-20 guns. Only the worst stuff was left. Told me that if he had 10 crates of 223 Rem. , it'd be gone in a week. Even with the 100 round per customer/day limit that he has set.

He is all but out of some of the weird long gun ammo as well. He describes what is going on as true panic buying. From what i gathered from talking to him at church this morning, he's starting to cut back in anticiaption of a slow down.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

I have a friend in the manufacturing business. His company only makes hunting bullets though. Even with that they are working longer hours than they have been in the past. They have even hired more temp help to catch up and give the full time help a day off or two. It was bad in 2008 when Obama was elected. It started up again when he was re elected and went insane the second the Sandy Hook shooting took place. It's going to be awhile before it slows down. Even with the Senate voting against the bill Obama is quietly working on expanding gun control by executive orders.
In general fewer people trust this administration when it comes to restricting gun ownership and the sales are reflective of that.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I sure hope the demand dies down soon, or the supply catches up...preferably both. Tired of seeing empty stock in stores and online.

And fwiw...I don't trust this administration on anything. Not sure they can actually tell the truth about anything.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bumping this thread. Just wondering if anyone has seen more ammo becoming available?

Here in Phoenix I am starting to see more ammo, magazines and rifles - even an AR or two every now and again. Still no .22 though.

Now that the senate has voted down the most recent gun bill are people sensing the panic buying is starting to slow down?
Old 05-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've started to see 7.62 X 39 and 9mm and 45acp becoming available but it is mostly marked up about 25% - 35% higher than before Feb-March dry-up. I'm guessing the .223 / 5.56 is also becoming available but I haven't actually been paying that much attention. I'm waiting until July-Aug when I'm hoping things will calm a bit.

I don't expect to see 1000 rounds of SKS ammo for $220.00 ever again, but I'm thinking the price will drop somewhat.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:23 AM
Fork Horn

Just starting to ease off where I am in Mi.

.223 is available in 20 packs, but not yet in bulk & so is the 7.62x39.

17 rimfire is pretty easy to get.

.22 rimfire is still tight, but not quite as bad as it was. I bought a 100 pack of Mini mags & 40 rds of 22-250 a week ago at the Cabela's in Dundee when I was there. No .22 mags or 222 in stock however.....so still a bit of a mixed bag.

.40 S&W is also still a bit short on supply.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm waiting until July-Aug when I'm hoping things will calm a bit.
Same here. It is much too hot to shoot outdoors here in the summer and so the shooting usually slows down.