Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
when to recrown a barrel >

when to recrown a barrel

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

when to recrown a barrel

Old 03-22-2013, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default when to recrown a barrel

this barrel is a factory Remington barrel that's had at least 2700 rounds but it is probably closer to 3200 or more. it was cleaned from the chamber to muzzle but im thinking maybe the jag was dragged across the crown a few times when the patch was pushed through the other side. if you look closely in the pics, small chips can be seen and other signs of abuse. in spite of this the rifle is still well under 1/2 moa providing im doing my part. is it worth while recrowning a abused barrel if it still shoots extremely well?
Attached Thumbnails when to recrown a barrel-_mg_1931cropped.jpg   when to recrown a barrel-_mg_1935cropped.jpg  
Old 03-23-2013, 02:25 AM
Typical Buck

I would never recrown a barrel that shoots "well under 1/2 moa".
Old 03-23-2013, 07:41 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Wayspr
I would never recrown a barrel that shoots "well under 1/2 moa".
What he ^^^^^ said!
Old 03-23-2013, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

x3

Some guns don't shoot that well no matter what you do to them. Obviously its not affecting the accuracy.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't see any "abuse", the crown looks good for a well used rifle. I would give it a thorough cleaning that starts with Remington 40-X bore cleaner(Walmart has it cheap) and a tight patch on a brass jag. Follow up with Hoppes to remove all traces of the 40-X, then a light coat of oil. I bet those "chips" you're worried about will disappear when you're done.

http://www.remington.com/products/ac...e-cleaner.aspx
Old 03-24-2013, 12:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Centaur 1
I don't see any "abuse", the crown looks good for a well used rifle. I would give it a thorough cleaning that starts with Remington 40-X bore cleaner(Walmart has it cheap) and a tight patch on a brass jag. Follow up with Hoppes to remove all traces of the 40-X, then a light coat of oil. I bet those "chips" you're worried about will disappear when you're done.

http://www.remington.com/products/ac...e-cleaner.aspx
the barrel has been fully cleaned, you can tell by the pictures alone. I wasn't able to get a clear picture from a bore scope but I know for sure the crown as surface fractures from seeing better close up images. they are not entirely visible in both pictures but they are for sure there.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:09 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by dylan_b
the barrel has been fully cleaned, you can tell by the pictures alone. I wasn't able to get a clear picture from a bore scope but I know for sure the crown as surface fractures from seeing better close up images. they are not entirely visible in both pictures but they are for sure there.
If it was my gun I'd wait for accuracy to degrade before recrowning regardless of what it looked like.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

What everyone else said!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

If you recorown it you may loose accuracy. Strange things can happen. And you need a good day just to keep up with what that 1/2" gun can do every day anyway. Snicker.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

with half moa ,id beat u if u did anything to it cept luv it