Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
when to recrown a barrel >

when to recrown a barrel

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

when to recrown a barrel

Old 03-22-2013, 08:36 PM
  #1  
Fork Horn
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 257
Default when to recrown a barrel

this barrel is a factory Remington barrel that's had at least 2700 rounds but it is probably closer to 3200 or more. it was cleaned from the chamber to muzzle but im thinking maybe the jag was dragged across the crown a few times when the patch was pushed through the other side. if you look closely in the pics, small chips can be seen and other signs of abuse. in spite of this the rifle is still well under 1/2 moa providing im doing my part. is it worth while recrowning a abused barrel if it still shoots extremely well?
Attached Thumbnails when to recrown a barrel-_mg_1931cropped.jpg   when to recrown a barrel-_mg_1935cropped.jpg  
dylan_b is offline  
Old 03-23-2013, 02:25 AM
  #2  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 538
Default

I would never recrown a barrel that shoots "well under 1/2 moa".
Wayspr is offline  
Old 03-23-2013, 07:41 AM
  #3  
Typical Buck
 
emtrescue6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 647
Default

Originally Posted by Wayspr View Post
I would never recrown a barrel that shoots "well under 1/2 moa".
What he ^^^^^ said!
emtrescue6 is offline  
Old 03-23-2013, 08:09 AM
  #4  
Nontypical Buck
 
WV Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Virginia / West Virginia
Posts: 4,906
Default

x3

Some guns don't shoot that well no matter what you do to them. Obviously its not affecting the accuracy.
WV Hunter is offline  
Old 03-23-2013, 10:04 AM
  #5  
Nontypical Buck
 
Centaur 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Titusville Florida
Posts: 1,727
Default

I don't see any "abuse", the crown looks good for a well used rifle. I would give it a thorough cleaning that starts with Remington 40-X bore cleaner(Walmart has it cheap) and a tight patch on a brass jag. Follow up with Hoppes to remove all traces of the 40-X, then a light coat of oil. I bet those "chips" you're worried about will disappear when you're done.

http://www.remington.com/products/ac...e-cleaner.aspx
Centaur 1 is offline  
Old 03-24-2013, 12:19 AM
  #6  
Fork Horn
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 257
Default

Originally Posted by Centaur 1 View Post
I don't see any "abuse", the crown looks good for a well used rifle. I would give it a thorough cleaning that starts with Remington 40-X bore cleaner(Walmart has it cheap) and a tight patch on a brass jag. Follow up with Hoppes to remove all traces of the 40-X, then a light coat of oil. I bet those "chips" you're worried about will disappear when you're done.

http://www.remington.com/products/ac...e-cleaner.aspx
the barrel has been fully cleaned, you can tell by the pictures alone. I wasn't able to get a clear picture from a bore scope but I know for sure the crown as surface fractures from seeing better close up images. they are not entirely visible in both pictures but they are for sure there.
dylan_b is offline  
Old 03-24-2013, 02:09 AM
  #7  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 538
Default

Originally Posted by dylan_b View Post
the barrel has been fully cleaned, you can tell by the pictures alone. I wasn't able to get a clear picture from a bore scope but I know for sure the crown as surface fractures from seeing better close up images. they are not entirely visible in both pictures but they are for sure there.
If it was my gun I'd wait for accuracy to degrade before recrowning regardless of what it looked like.
Wayspr is offline  
Old 03-24-2013, 11:25 AM
  #8  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 8,019
Default

What everyone else said!!!
Topgun 3006 is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 05:23 PM
  #9  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Allenton Wis.
Posts: 186
Default

If you recorown it you may loose accuracy. Strange things can happen. And you need a good day just to keep up with what that 1/2" gun can do every day anyway. Snicker.
ihookem1 is offline  
Old 04-05-2013, 02:23 PM
  #10  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: michigan
Posts: 107
Default

with half moa ,id beat u if u did anything to it cept luv it
polaris754 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.