Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Homemade Gun Safe (Updated* Painted 5-20-13) >

Homemade Gun Safe (Updated* Painted 5-20-13)

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Homemade Gun Safe (Updated* Painted 5-20-13)

Old 03-21-2013, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Homemade Gun Safe (Updated* Painted 5-20-13)

New school project for me.. I am building a gun safe since our current gun safe is overflowing! Im sure some of you have the same problem. Haha. I have no intentions of this being 100% theft/fire proof as im not a gun safe engineer. I love building things and it just so happens that im pretty talented at it. Not trying to brag or anything.

I have plans drawn up already and next step is getting materials and starting it. Ive been fooling around with some scrap metal at school for a security system. Don't ask how im doing it. That's a secret

Ill be posting pictures and updates as I progress on it.

First step.

Build steel frame using 2" x 1/8" angle iron. Ill have metal tomorrow and pictures posted monday or tuesday on whatever I accomplish.
Frame will simply be a box. ( W-H-D : 32 1/2" x 22" x 60" )

Specifications:

Outside Dimensions: ( 32 1/2" x 22" x 60" )
Inside dimensions: 31" x 20 1/2" x 58 1/2"
Compartments: Two 13" sides for guns and a 5" +/- in the center for pull out drawers.
Wall thickness: 3/4" +/- walls. Materials in order: (1/8" flat steel - 1/8" air gap - 1/2" sheet rock + thickness for liner)
Lock: Keypad security with rotating handle to lock and unlock deadbolts.
Capacity: Roughly 20 rifles/shotguns + tons of space for handguns and ammo.
Finish: The steel will be sandblasted and painted either flat or gloss black. Just to prevent rust in long term since sheet rock does hold moisture. I will be putting walnut on the outside of it so I can get a little more detailed in the outside look. I will be using a router and dremel tool to cut out a design of some sort on the door. The wood kind of defeats the purpose of the attempt on fire proofing it but hopefully our house doesn't burn down anytime soon...

Hopefully I can get some pictures posted up once I get it started and then add more as I go.

Last edited by Pope94/IA; 05-20-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is what I have done so far.

The frame is basically built like rectangle box. Made sure everything was square and the door fit in perfectly. I left a little room all around it for movement. The side opposite of the hinges I angled in so it would open smoothly.

there is a lip around the door frame that the door actually sits on.
Attached Thumbnails Homemade Gun Safe (Updated* Painted 5-20-13)-1gunsafe.jpg   Homemade Gun Safe (Updated* Painted 5-20-13)-12gunsafe.jpg   Homemade Gun Safe (Updated* Painted 5-20-13)-13gunsafe.jpg  
Old 03-26-2013, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Then of course the hinges that I ran through the steel lathe.
Attached Thumbnails Homemade Gun Safe (Updated* Painted 5-20-13)-14gunsafe.jpg  
Old 03-27-2013, 02:32 AM
Spike

Keep us posted.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like it will be secure. We'll need a torch to get your guns!
Old 03-27-2013, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

It should be secure. Today ill be working on the locking mechanism for it. Ill post a picture of what I accomplish on that.

Im still debating whether or not to put sheet rock (dura rock) on the inside or try and find a better material. It would be the cheaper route I think.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here are some more pictures. I haven't accomplished too much more. Past few days have basically been thinking days.

I have tacked on the hinges just to get an idea. Two of the pictures shows the hinges (door opened and closed) and then the other two pictures show the pins that lock and unlock the safe. The whole locking system is not complete yet... Making minor adjustments as I go.
Attached Thumbnails Homemade Gun Safe (Updated* Painted 5-20-13)-15gunsafe.jpg   Homemade Gun Safe (Updated* Painted 5-20-13)-16gunsafe.jpg   Homemade Gun Safe (Updated* Painted 5-20-13)-17gunsafe.jpg   Homemade Gun Safe (Updated* Painted 5-20-13)-18gunsafe.jpg  
Old 04-02-2013, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Coming along nicely! How much do you figure you'll have in the project when you're finsihed?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sheet rock and Durock are two different things.
One is made with plaster and fiberglass, (sheet rock).

The other is made with concrete and fiberglass mesh (Durock).

If you're looking for a fire retardant, go with the Durock. It comes in 4x4x1/4 or 3x5x1/2 sizes, and can be gotten form most any lumber yard.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Coming along nicely! How much do you figure you'll have in the project when you're finsihed?

Well so far (from what I have done) I have two cases of beer into it The angle iron came from a good friend of ours. He had gotten it free from his work and it was just laying around so we did a little bargaining with him. The pins, hinges, and flat iron so far has been free from the school. Again, just metal laying around that the school had bought and nobody is using.
Even though all that was free, it was actually the cheaper part. Ill need atleast a 5x10 sheet of flat iron for the outside which im guessing will be around 175. Durock, I have no idea on prices. Sandblasting will be nothing since ill be the one doing it. Costs of paint aint cheap.

I would hate to guess a total. Hopefully it stays under 500. Ill be able to tell ya when im finished.

sconnyhunter,

I thought there was a difference but wasn't for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.