Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

remington 700 firing by itself

Old 03-18-2013, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

RR
Back in the 70's I bought a 600 and about a couple of weeks later had to send it in for a factory recall on the trigger. All I know is it went to Remingington with a blued trigger and came back with a gold colored one.
daddus
Old 03-18-2013, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

News flash; Remington 700 firing by itself ! LOL

Always follow rule #1 and no one gets hurt.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I own 3, never had an issue. All have been adjusted. Everyone I hunt with owns one or two 700's, never had a problem like that.

Heck with the millions of guns sold, of course some guns are gonna have issues. That would be with ANY manufacturer. It wouldn't worry me for a second buying one. And if I was worried about it, I'd just buy an aftermarket trigger and be done. 700's are great guns, imo.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I own 3 also never had a problem. Like stated before when you don't know a thing or think you do and you start messing with the trigger pull you get accidents. Trust worthy rifle. I guess if you follow basic firearms safety if it did go off no would get hurt.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:35 AM
Fork Horn

RR,
I think I had to empty the gun by taking the safe off and then cranking out the bullets.
daddus
Old 03-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Typical Buck

Amen RR...safe handling of the weapon in question would have resulted in 24 fewer deaths...end of story. My two 700's have a great deal of range time and many a hunts behind them and not a problem one, and both have had trigger work done.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:32 AM
Typical Buck

I had a Remy 700 accidentally discharge about 6-7 years ago. Gun was safely pointed away from everyone, no injuries. At the time, I was fixing to unload a 270 Win after a hunt and bang. Scared the crap out of me and the safety chewed the heck out of my thumb. Went to the range the day after and tried every thing I could to do it again, slammed the bolt shut, safety on off on off, hit butt stock of gun on ground with safety off. I've fired several hundred rounds and taken it hunting many times since that day, not one problem. I honestly believe my finger was on the trigger when it happened. Moral of the story, ALWAYS have guns pointed in a safe direction.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:24 AM
Typical Buck

I've had three Rem 700s. I still have 2 of them. I've adjusted the triggers on all of them. I've used each of them on hunts in Africa, the Arctic, and Montana. I've shot hundreds of rounds through them, and have dry fired them hundreds of additional times. Not one has ever fired by itself.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never had one discharge accidently. Sear engaugement or dirt can cause this. As said, a Timney will solve all problems.