Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking for a new gun.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Spike

Default Looking for a new gun.

I'm looking to buy a new gun. Its going to have to be for me and the wife. We will be hunting mainly deer but also pronghorn and elk. Being that the wife is going to use it also and the fact that I'm a sissy and can't handle recoil. (shot my buddies 300wsm and couldn't hit anything because of tensing up) Its going to have to be something is little kick. I'm looking at the 270 wsm, 7mm rem mag, or the 7mm wsm. What are peoples thoughts on these. I will be reloading what ever I get. I have a 7mm Mauser now and shot great with it and open sights. But want something a little new and faster. I have found a model 70 7mm wsm with a break for a great deal. Should I buy it?
Old 03-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Typical Buck

I have both a .270 Win and a 7mm RM, and both will work fine for the animals you listed -- with the proper bullets and at reasonable ranges. .270s have killed a lot of elk, but I'd give a slight nod to the 7mm RM for elk.

I don't know anything about the WSM, but the ballistics look good. Factory ammo for the WSM isn't as common (especially in podunk elk or antelope country), but as a reloader, that shouldn't bother you.

I also don't know the physical size difference between you and your wife, but chances are one rifle probably wouldn't be a perfect fit for both of you. A slip on Limbsaver pad might help here.

As for scopes, a fixed 4x has worked for many years, but variables are more common, with 3-9x being a good all around choice. I have a 4x on my .270 Win, and a 6x on my .257 AI which is my favorite deer and antelope rifle, but I've also used it for several bighorn rams, Dall ram, mountain caribou, and elk without any problems. I have a 3-9x on my 7mm RM and a 4-12x on my .300 Wby which is good for little critters far away.

A lot of guys don't like muzzle brakes, but they have been around a long time (most AR type rifles have them) and they definately reduce felt recoil. I have KDF muzzle brakes on my .375 RUM and my .300 Wby which kicks less than my .270 Win.

Hearing protection is a must with brakes, but it should be worn for all shooting.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't care for muzzle brakes on hunting rifles, but to each their own

A riflle chambered in .270 Win. is where I would start my search. I would get a brand that has additional stocks available (assuming that you and your wife are different sizes). My wife has trouble using any of my scoped rifles - she needs a shorter LOP to fit her. For example, if I put my .25-06 into a shorter stock she can use the scope without having to move it, and then it can be returned to the original stock for my use.

There are other ways of dealing with recoil other than brakes. Good recoil pads and perhaps recoil reducers in the stock should make most rifles more agreeable.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

Every caliber you mention has a little bite in the recoil world...especially the 7mm Rem Mag (I think my 7mm Mag kicks harder than my brothers 300 WSM)...I enjoy shooting my 7mm Mag so much...it's buried so deep in the safe it's in different zip code than my house! I am not recoil sensitive and I hate my 7mm Mag!

My current favorite rifle to deer hunt deer with these days is my 270WSM, it certainly would also be a good pronghorn and elk rig with proper bullet choice...it will certainly reach out and out-shoot me distance wise. I use a Limbsaver pad on it and it is very pleasant to shoot and I don't think the recoil on it is noticeably more than my 270 WIN.

I have also hunted deer, elk, moose and pronghorn with a 270 WIN successfully. It will certainly get the job done...and has killed many an animal for a lot of guys! It's one of my favorite all time calibers.

I don't know jack about the 7mm WSM and haven't shot one, so can't talk recoil on it, but I would bet it's similar to the 7mm Mag.

Of the calibers you mention, and considering your distaste for recoil...I'd have to say if it were me I would go with the 270 or 270WSM...with either a Limbsaver (my preferred) or Pachmeyer recoil pads...both do a good job. While the 7mm may have a slight advantage...with currently available bullet choices for the re-loader, that advantage is near non-existent. I too don't really care for muzzle breaks, but I do have two rifles with them and it did help me a great deal with accuracy...they are just loud.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:03 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by buffybr
I have both a .270 Win and a 7mm RM, and both will work fine for the animals you listed -- with the proper bullets and at reasonable ranges. .270s have killed a lot of elk, but I'd give a slight nod to the 7mm RM for elk.

I don't know anything about the WSM, but the ballistics look good. Factory ammo for the WSM isn't as common (especially in podunk elk or antelope country), but as a reloader, that shouldn't bother you.

I also don't know the physical size difference between you and your wife, but chances are one rifle probably wouldn't be a perfect fit for both of you. A slip on Limbsaver pad might help here.

As for scopes, a fixed 4x has worked for many years, but variables are more common, with 3-9x being a good all around choice. I have a 4x on my .270 Win, and a 6x on my .257 AI which is my favorite deer and antelope rifle, but I've also used it for several bighorn rams, Dall ram, mountain caribou, and elk without any problems. I have a 3-9x on my 7mm RM and a 4-12x on my .300 Wby which is good for little critters far away.

A lot of guys don't like muzzle brakes, but they have been around a long time (most AR type rifles have them) and they definately reduce felt recoil. I have KDF muzzle brakes on my .375 RUM and my .300 Wby which kicks less than my .270 Win.

Hearing protection is a must with brakes, but it should be worn for all shooting.

Hey buffybr, I am currently on the search for a donor rifle to build my first custom rifle (anyone got a left handed Rem 700 BDL action in 270 or 30-06????)...anyway, I am considering building a 257 Roberts AI...how is your rifle on barrels??? How do you like the cal? I am really starting to like the .25 cal's and have always wanted a Bob....

Any suggestions or comments welcome!
Old 03-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 270 Winchester will do all that you ask, and not beat either of you up.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you'd be just fine with a 270 Win. If recoil is an issue, a 7mm Rem. Mag. or WSM might be right there on the ragged edge of what you are willing to tolerate.

As for the 270 Win. ? Been around a long time now and I have yet to come across a bolt action of any make that did not group darned good with a 130 gr. bullet pushed out at typical muzzle velocities. I have seen some mighty nice sized mule deer dropped cleanly out to about 350-400 yards with such a load.

If you are looking to drop the recoil to about 50% of a typical WSM load, have you considered the 25.06 Rem.? In my opinion, this is a much over looked reasonable recoil round that is well suited for deer sized game. A quality 120 gr. bullet suited for medium game is a good choice for deer and I suspect antelope as well. And effective range for antelope should be way the heck out there.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like the .270 win to me too.

Best one gun deer hunter's gun there is............noth, south, east & west.

Elk hunting; bring a 7MM rem mag.

Last edited by Sheridan; 03-05-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:32 AM
Typical Buck

I'm a huge fan of the 270 win also. But if you have already found a set up in the 7mm WSM then go for it. It's not as popular as the 270 WSM and the 300 WSM. So most sporting goods have less selection. It wasn't a great advantage over the 7mm Rem Mag but it's a new gun with a break your wife can shoot and it will do anything you need it to do. I say buy it and enjoy.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
why a long action?
RR
Because they didn't make the Remington 700 BDL's in left handed in a short action (they were only made in 4 cals....270, 30-06, 7mm Mag and 300 RUM).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.