Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

firearms

Old 09-21-2003, 03:34 PM

Default firearms

i am thinking of retiring the old auto5 after this season .any suggestions on new pumpgun?not at all interested in remington junk leaning to mossy 835 or maybe winchester any comments on either would be helpful thanks
Old 09-21-2003, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: firearms

Plainsman.......It' s odd that you stated that the Remington is junk.The 870 is the most popular, best selling pump of all TIME. Some might say the old Win M12 is but' s it' s no longer made.[:@] Then you have the Mooseburg mentioned.[] If I had to decide over the Mooseburg 835 and the current Winchester pump (M 1300?), I would stick with the old A5, it has some steel in iT.

Welcome to the board![8D]AA[8D]

Old 09-21-2003, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the forum Plainsman,Retire a Auto5.and looking at a Mossberg. hmmm I would stick with the Auto 5 over a Mossberg anyday. Remington Junk? I have to agree some of Remington' s newer releases fit that discription. The Remington 870 though is one of the finest if not the finest pump guns made.It' s your money and you can spend it as you see fit.Look at the Rem 870 before you buy your Mossberg. The 870 might surprise you.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 09-21-2003, 04:21 PM

granted the OLD870 wasnt TO bad. i shot a couple of them but didnt think they lived up to the hype. however almost all smiths will tell you the NEW ones are cheaply made. if jammingtons are all they are cracked up to be why are both the cops and military trading them in for the mossy? have shot both win 1200 and mossy for quite a while both were flawless in performance. it takes more than reputation to drop the birds
Old 09-21-2003, 04:27 PM

I don' t think you can go wrong with the Mossberg 835. The Wingmaster 870 is/was a nice firearm. But I' m not impressed with the 870 express at all. I used to sell those for 219.00. We sold the 28" model 835 for 235.00. Camo stock and forend, dull black receiver and barrel, and it' s ported. You could use light loads for dove and quail, 3" mags for Duck, and 3.5" loads for Geese and Turkey. Everything you could want in one package.

I forgot to mention. The Mossberg 835 actually has a 10 gauge bore. So if you' re shooting lead, you get tighter patterns due to less pellet deformation and flyoff out of the pattern. I sold a bunch of those guns and never had anybody complain about them.
Old 09-21-2003, 04:34 PM

thanks for the input 45 thats pretty much my thinking as well. did anybody fail to tell the jammington fans their parts are now thinner and lower quality than mossy? p.s. cant seem to get sig working. any ideas why?
Old 09-21-2003, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Plainsman, I haven' t bought a new Remington 870 in years. They might have changed them I don' t know.I know my old 870 has been flawless. Another fine pump gun is the Ithaca 37(87?) Remington has gone down allot over recent years with their quality. They probably have cheapened the 870 that I' m not aware of .
Ruger Redhawk
Old 09-21-2003, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I was a wanting a pump shotgun, I' d look all over for a used Ithaca 37. I' d install a rib and rework the bluing and the wood and checkering and have at it.

It' s my (prejudiced) opinion that the really fine pump guns was made years ago.

I picked the Ithaca over the Model 12 solely because of weight.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:14 AM

what about a nice winchester model 12? i still use my late randfather' s. that was made in 1966. still outshoots any of the shotguns i have today!!!
Old 09-22-2003, 08:51 AM

Do you have to go (or want to) go with a pump? Since you have been using the auto -5.You might check out the Gold Hunter.I got one and put away all of my other shotguns.It is one of the best I have ever had in my hands!

Quick Reply: firearms

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.