Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Rifle weight >

Rifle weight

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifle weight

Old 02-25-2013, 10:49 AM
Spike

he plans on deer and elk hunting with me. he also likes to target shoot alot. i want him to enjoy shooting it also. i would prefer buying an american made product but browning is a international company and there guns are made in many places around the world including ***an but they are very good and one of the best imo
Old 02-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do you reload? I had the same problem with my father many years ago with his Win. Model 70 in 30-06. I loaded some 125 gr. Sierras for him that shot real well at a slightly reduced powder charge. He was happy with that until he thought now the gun is too heavy. I got him a Rem. 700 ADL in .308 Win., and did the same thing. He hunted with that gun and killed deer with it until he had to quit hunting at age 83.

Just something to consider, and the 7mm-08 with 120 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips would be an excellent choice for deer. He could move up to the 140 gr. Accubonds for elk. That caliber is a sweet-heart for the recoil-shy to begin with...

Last edited by Pawildman; 02-25-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Savage_99
What is the rifle for?

The X bolts are made in ***an. Not much pride in owning a gun made by those that started WW2.

My weatherby was made in ***an too, and it's a shooter.

Not much pride in buying American anymore, when many American companies repay us by closing down shop and moving over seas. Quality is quality, and unfortunately, American quality has given in to profit.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:35 AM
Typical Buck

Like Big Uncle posted, the in-stock recoil reducers are a quick and fairly inexpensive method of reducing felt recoil. There are both mechanical and mercury filled models that sell for under $50, and with a very little woodworking skill they are easy to install in just about any rifle or shotgun stock. They add about 8 oz to your stock's weight so the added weight plus the action of the reducer combine to absorb some of the kick.

I use both kinds and can't tell which is better. They both work. I installed one in each of my Trap and Skeet shotguns, my 870 field gun, and in the stocks of my .375 RUM and .300 Weatherby.

Just drilling a hole in any stock and filling it with lead will add weight to any gun and it will help to reduce the felt recoil.