Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Which 17 Hornet to buy? >

Which 17 Hornet to buy?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which 17 Hornet to buy?

Old 02-21-2013, 04:09 PM
Spike

Default Which 17 Hornet to buy?

I have decided to purchase a 17 Hornet rifle. My two choices are the Ruger 77/17 or the Savage 25 Lightweight Varminter. I would appreciate any suggestions/input on which one of these rifles is the better choice.
Thank you.
jr97
Old 02-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Whichever lights your fire, as they are both well made rifles by good firms.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

Personally, I like the savage. Im big on accuracy and Savage is known to give you that much. However, ruger makes a damned good rifle and I would not pass one up if I had the chance to get one. Also depends on what you are going to use it for.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't married either of these rifles yet in a .17, just spent a few dates with them at the range, and accuracy out of either is phenomenal. I bought a Savage 25 in 22H on a whim, really like this rifle. My old Hornet for several years now has been a Ruger, so if you can forgive a little bullet diameter difference in my analysis, it's really the same evaluation.

Ultimately, these two rifles handle and feel very differently, so a guy really needs to handle them before he decides on one or the other.

Obviously, the Savage will have the better trigger out of the box, so that's one thing to keep in mind, but the biggest difference in my hands is the feel.

Beyond that, the 77/17 feels much more like a "full scale" rifle, whereas the Savage 25 handles more like a rimfire than a big bore centerifre. Either way has its advantages. The Ruger feels more like your deer rifle would, so the half-pound lighter Savage feel might take a little getting used to for some guys. I personally grew up with a Marlin 60 in my hand, so any time I feel something with a smaller bodied, efficient feel, it's more of a turn on than a dissuasion.

I like both models, I guess I'm hard pressed to suggest one or the other, if nothing else because they are so different in feel that comparing them is kind of like Glock vs XDM, function is similar enough, feel is pretty different, so comparing form trumps comparing function in this case.

EDIT: Almost forgot, the Savage can be had for about $100-250 less than the Ruger, depending on which stock you want on the 25 (thumbhole laminate vs plastic). Then you'll be looking at an upgrade to the Ruger trigger, for a little more boost in investment price.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 02-23-2013 at 10:23 AM. Reason: EDIT: Added price considerations...
Old 02-25-2013, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto on the trigger upgrade on the Ruger. I have a Ruger 77/22 in the Hornet, and I thought the factory trigger pull was absolutely terrible. I think if I remember right, it broke somewhere around 7 lbs. Ridiculous. I got a Rifle Basix and put it in.. a little touchy to get it set just right, but man, what a difference!!

I, too, am anxious to read more reports on the 17 Hornet, as I'm sure one will be living here in the not-too-distant future.. Right now, I'm kinda leaning more to the Savage..
Old 02-25-2013, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Pawildman
Ditto on the trigger upgrade on the Ruger. I have a Ruger 77/22 in the Hornet, and I thought the factory trigger pull was absolutely terrible. I think if I remember right, it broke somewhere around 7 lbs. Ridiculous. I got a Rifle Basix and put it in.. a little touchy to get it set just right, but man, what a difference!!
I put an aftermarket sear in my 77/22 Hornet. After a little bit of polishing it reduced the trigger pull, and made it break much smoother. Easy job with big results.

After having a Savage .17 HMR (mine was not a very good rifle), and the Ruger - I like the Ruger.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
I put an aftermarket sear in my 77/22 Hornet. After a little bit of polishing it reduced the trigger pull, and made it break much smoother. Easy job with big results.

After having a Savage .17 HMR (mine was not a very good rifle), and the Ruger - I like the Ruger.

.... I like the Rugers too.. But my brother-in-law just got a Savage Laminated Thumbhole in .243 Win., and it's got me drooling to see how it shoots. Man, is that a sweet-looking gun. Anxious to try it out...
Old 02-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

I purchased the Model 25 Savage w/Vortex Viper 6-20X scope and I've been out to the range twice with it. It is definitely a shooter capable of sub 1/2" groups @ 100yds. My 1st time shooting at 300yds. produced a 3 shot 3/4" group.
My only issue with the Savage is when I lift the bolt handle it's hard coming up, but it has been getting better the more I shoot it. After the rifle has been cocked the bolt cycles just fine.
I'm looking forward to taking a coyote or two with it soon!
Old 03-02-2013, 12:41 PM
Spike

Thank you all for your valued opinions.
I am still trying to decide on which rifle to buy.
jr97