Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
rifle stock design >

rifle stock design

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

rifle stock design

Old 02-18-2013, 04:19 AM
Spike

Default rifle stock design

I was wondering what to look for in a low felt recoil stock. Like what comb and heel drops are best for felt recoil reduction.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2013, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Look at the specs of rifles traditionally chambered in heavy recoiling cartridges to see what works. Stocks on rifles like the Winchester M70 Safari Express work the best for me.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Straight line stocks are going to recoil more straight back into your shoulder, whereas a stock with more drop will rotate more (more muzzle jump, less linear recoil). Monte Carlo's with a lot of drop and a raised cheek piece will usually let the recoil roll over you more, rather than slamming you straight backwards.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:11 AM
Typical Buck

While agreeing with Nomercy 100% how stocks work. I prefer a straight stock with a little drop in it. There are some mean stock designs that will make most calibers feel like you just go kicked by a mule. I've always been a fan of most Ruger stock designs even in large magnums. I never have cared for Winchester and Remington's straight stock designs I've found them punishing. There are so many stock designs out there and it becomes a personal feel. For someone like me with large cheek bones a Monte Carlo stock option is totally out of the question. Some of them have left me with huge swelling on the cheek. Not being bias just I use the same hold on every rifle I own. I tend to choke up on a rifle, it's natural to me. So personally not a lot of stocks fit me as good as others. I'd rather take a punch to the shoulder than get one to the face and one to the shoulder at the same time. I think it's more personal choice I think. I'd go to the range and ask to shoot some different styles.