Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

300rum

Old 02-05-2013, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default 300rum

Thinking of getting a 300 RUM. Just looking to build a long range gun that can be used just about anywhere. I'm in no real hurry and have plenty of time jsut looking at rounds right now. I'll handload so getting ammo isn't the problem. Just wonder if anyone has one and what your thoughts are on this round.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:52 PM
Spike

I have one and it shoots great. It kicks like a mule! And is the only gun out of 12 I own that gets me to flinch. The bullets go far with a lot of energy but unless you can handle the punishing shoulder bruising you won't be accurate. Choose something with less kick is my recommendation
Old 02-05-2013, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

I figured that was thinking of putting a break on it..not sure how much that would help
Old 02-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BRUSE
I figured that was thinking of putting a break on it..not sure how much that would help
Get a good Holland brake. It will reduce the recoil a ton. It will be a pleasure to shoot. I shoot a 300 WSM now but I shot the 300 RUM for years. I changed over to the 300 WSM because with the shorter action and shorter barrel, the rifle was much easier to hunt with. I didn't give up a ton but my 300 WSM will never live up to the ballistics of the 300 RUM. It's just easier to carry and MUCH easier to get on target with. Good luck!!
Old 02-09-2013, 04:52 AM
Spike

I have shot the 340 weatherby for years. that cartridge is a kicker. I found that using a lead sled for sight in helps. I will develop a flinch with that rifle if I shoot it all the time without the sled for bench shooting. Offhand or field positions are a lot easier for me to handle recoil than from the bench.
I do not like brakes because they are soooo loud. I had one on a 340 and shot an elk.
I did not notice at the time of the shot but it affected my hearing for days probably longer. No more brakes for me.I just will not wear hearing protection when hunting.
In fact I just had a Mark V action rebarreled from 300 wby to 340 (my 4th one) the factory barrel was threaded for a brake. I had my smith install a thread cap instead of the brake.
I have a 300 wsm as well and luckydog is right. the short mag is much easier to carry and shoot accurately. This Mule deer was killed with the 300 wsm. It worked just fine.
Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails 300rum-img_0398.jpg  
Old 02-09-2013, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot my 300 WSM (Without a brake)from the lead sled and have no need for a brake while hunting. The 300 RUM was a bit much to hunt with or shoot at the range, without the brake. I really do prefer the setup I have now but it was sure cool when I had the power of the 300 RUM.

Even though it was cool, I'll never go back to it again.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is hard to beat the .300 Win. Mag. for a user friendly long range heavy hitter.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I recently went on a hunt in TX. I borrowed a 7MM RUM and it was a joy to shoot. It was a Rifles Inc. rifle with a brake. It was loud though.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

I have KDF muzzle brakes on both my .375 RUM and my .300 Weatherby. The felt recoil was reduced on the .375 RUM to about that of my 7mm Rem mag, and the .300 Wby down to less than my .270 Win. I wear ear protection when shooting either of these cannons, but I also wear protection when shooting my .22 rimfires.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
It is hard to beat the .300 Win. Mag. for a user friendly long range heavy hitter.
+1

Classic Cartridge guy though !!!

..............and why not ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.