Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Mossberg 835 >

Mossberg 835

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mossberg 835

Old 02-01-2013, 06:48 AM
Spike

Default Mossberg 835

OK I'm a bow hunter so this choked shotgun is new to me.its an 835 with the turkey choke and a 730 full choke.its obvious what to use the first choke mentioned for but what can I hunt with the 730? Also can it be used to hunt with no choke installed?i am also going to purchase a slug barrel.any and all help appreciated..thanks.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

You can use the full choke for any hunting but it wouldn't be the best for most uses. I'd use it for squirrel. I would not shoot it without a choke installed it could damage the threads.

Last edited by Nimrodder; 02-02-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

DO NOT shoot it without a choke installed! The full choke is used for longer shots where the pattern will be be tighter than a modified or improved cylinder that might be used for closer shots on different game.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:02 PM
Spike

Is the 730 full tube good for buckshot for deer? I'm getting the IC tube for the small guys..and the rifled slug barell for the hogs...
Old 02-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Each gun will shoot different, but normally buckshot will not pattern good out of a real tight choke because it constricts it too much. There are always exceptions to the rule and that's why you should always pattern a gun BEFORE you use it on any live game. Bw aware that buckshot on deer is a very closein proposition and generally we're talking inside 40-50 yards at best.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Repeat ... do not shoot this shotgun without a choke tube installed. You will ruin the threads. If all that you have are the Full and X-Full choke, my advise is to get on line and buy the Mod. and Imp. Cylinder tubes as well. That way you'll be good to go for any wing shooting as well as small game .... and larger birds such as geese and turkey.

In my opinion you are doing the right thing buying a rifled slug barrel rather than use a smooth bore and rifled slugs. No doubt the later combo will kill medium game out to around 50-100 yards, but that combination can be fairly iffy as far as accuracy. The combination of a rifled barrel and the latest sabot slugs should result in great groups at 100 yards and will increase the down range effectiveness about 2 fold.