Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
338 WM groupings >

338 WM groupings

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

338 WM groupings

Old 01-28-2013, 05:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default 338 WM groupings

my new 700 338 WM is grouping at about 3" @ 100 yds. i went thru a break in process plus i have tried 2 different types of ammo. i can not slide a dollar bill between the stock and barrel. i started shooting off of sand bags and went to a lead sled thinking it might be a bit of flinch with the magnum gun. nothing seems to change. out of 70 rounds i have had 2 3 shot groups that had 2 rounds real close with the 3rd being 2-3" away. remington has suggested sending it in to have it checked. any thoughts?
Old 01-28-2013, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Send it back......................Now is the time to let them address it !
Old 01-28-2013, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah that gun should shoot very good. I have a Remington 700 BDL 338 win mag that shoots under a 1" all day long with just about everything I have ever shot in it. It really shines with the 225gr. Nosler Accubond and RL-19 powder though.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Typical Buck

Default .338 Win Mag Accuracy Issue

I've never had a Remington 700 that didn't shoot more accurately once I Free-floated the barrel and bedded the action. I've owned alot of 700's and I've done this to them all. My cousin had an 1980's vintage 700 ADL in .300 Win. Mag. Shot about like you're describing. We floated the barrel and bedded the action. It immediately shrunk group size from about 2.0" - 2.5" to 5/8" - 3/4". This was with 180 gr. Remington Core-Lokts. This is all my cousin shoots thru this rifle. We did this in the mid 90's and it's still shooting the Core-Lokts about the same. It will help if while you're having a Gunsmith do the bedding work have him work the trigger down to about 3 lbs and you'll be good to go.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Send it to Remington for a checkup before doing any gunsmithing work that might void your warranty.

The problem might be the rifle, the ammo (try some handloads), or perhaps the scope or scope mounts.

In any event I would bed the action and float the barrel after Remington is finished with it. The round bottom of a M700 in a magnum chambering is really helped by snug bedding.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

What kind of scope and what mounts are you using? When I first got mine it had a Pentax scope on it, I went through all kinds of loads and bullets trying to get it to shoot, it literally shot patterns not groups. My final attempt to make it shoot was to replace the scope, I put a Leupold on it and it went from shooting patterns to one big ragged hole groups with most of my handloads. Apparently the Pentax would not handle the recoil of the 338. Just something to concider.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think fritz1 hit on something and if it isn't the scope/mounts causing the problem I would also send it back to Remington BEFORE I did anything else to the gun myself.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-28-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

I went out and shot 2 groups last night and really took my time. First group had 2 touching and one about 1" above. The second group had 2 touching and one about 2" above. Only difference was have lots of time and having a grip on the fore arm instead of letting it jump on its own. I am thinking it may have been the shooter and a bit of fear of the recoil of the 338. I will try again very shortly when I have enough time to not feel rushed. I was about to send it in and just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me. Now I have at least caused myself to question the first sessions.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good to hear! A 338 is a gun you have to learn to shoot and you have to shoot it often to keep shooting it good. If you dont handload, try some Federal Premium 225gr. Accubonds in it. I found these to be the most accurate factory load in my 700.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear it. From what I've seen...folks shooting the big mags tend to be shy. Thats probably what happened, sounds like you did alot better this go round. The key will be how do you do under pressure in the field? Might want to wear a facemask...
LOL, just kidding....but that gun can certainly bust you up good if you aren't used to it and ready. I would say shooting it alot like fritz said is a good idea. That way you are totally set when it comes to live action. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.