Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Browning bps realtree max-4/all purpose hunter vs remington 870 >

Browning bps realtree max-4/all purpose hunter vs remington 870

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning bps realtree max-4/all purpose hunter vs remington 870

Old 01-26-2013, 03:19 PM
Spike

Default Browning bps realtree max-4/all purpose hunter vs remington 870

Looking to purchase a shotgun that will be good for duck hunting to deer hunting and anything in between. Looking at the Browing BPS realtree max-4/all purpose hunter or the an 870

Wondering what peoples views are on the two guns...
Old 01-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Both are great guns. I like the BPS over the 870 only because I'm not a big fan of the fit and finish of the Express version. I do love the older Wingmaster 870's though. Just my opinion. Good luck on your purchase, both guns are fine choices.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have both and they are both nice. If I had to choose one, it would be the BPS. Its just a flat out nice shotgun.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the fit and finish on the BPS is better and the action feels smoother and stronger.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't comment on the Browning as I don't have one. I do have two 870's though. The first is an older "Wing Master". It had a beautiful stock which I replaced with a camo stock. I use it for turkey hunting and also bought a Hastings rifled barrel and Leupold 2x7 which I use for deer hunting in the mid west. The other is a 20ga I bought my daughter for turkey hunting.

Both have been solid guns and there are tons of aftermarket accessories for them. At one point I bought a Benelli but ended up going back to my "old reliable'" 870.

Last edited by Rob in VT; 01-27-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:34 AM
Spike

Great thank you for the tips guys. Will go and feel them both out again at the store and make a choice but I think I'm leaning towards the BPS.

Thanx again.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
I think the fit and finish on the BPS is better and the action feels smoother and stronger.
This is my exact feelings on the BPS.

I have an old 870 wingmaster, and a newer 870 express. Both are really nice guns for sure, just not quite as nice as the BPS. If cost was an issue, I'd get the express. They are a no frills workhorse and a great gun. If I was gonna spend more, the BPS is my choice. I have blued / wood guns, no experience with the camo models...but I'm sure the finish is great on em.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Being a lefty, I'm partial to the ambidextrous tang safety and bottom ejection of the BPS. I've owned an '80's vintage stalker model for longer than I care to remember. I've shot trap, rabbits, turkeys, grouse, pheasants, and one deer with the thing. I can only echo what has been said by previous BPS owning posters. In my opinion, the best pump shotgun made. I would not trade it for any other.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:42 PM
Spike

Two sons and two guns. One has an 870 and the other a BPS and its the max4 camo version. The BPS has a bank vault strong action and is clearly a more solid feeling gun. It had an issue feeding occasionally and we discovered the shell latch which rests against the mag tube was the culprit. Its a stamped part that had a slight burr that sometimes hung it up enough so that shells couldn't come out of the tube. Its fixed now and is dependable.
The 870 action is way looser and would probably work if you threw a handful of sand in it. Its shot a lot of ducks and geese without ever missing a beat and the number one son never lets number 2 forget it. Personal preference IMO .....can't go wrong with either.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the Remington 870, but I HATE the location of the safety. It was over 40 years ago when I started hunting, and I was taught to always keep the safety on until you're ready to pull the trigger, never sooner. I was also taught to never rely on a safety, treat every gun as if the safety is broken and protect the trigger while hunting. I always wrap a couple of fingers around the trigger guard to protect the trigger from sticks and twigs. With a tang mounted safety you can protect the trigger while operating the safety. Even with the old Winchester Model 12 that I hunted with as a kid, the safety was located at the front of the trigger guard. With that gun you can protect the trigger and work the safety all in the same motion. IMHO, Remington dropped that ball when they positioned the safety at the rear of the trigger guard. I'd buy another Mossberg before buying a Remington.