Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Opinions on ar 15s future >

Opinions on ar 15s future

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Opinions on ar 15s future

Old 01-20-2013, 12:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Opinions on ar 15s future

I recently moved to alaska and when i moved i did not bring any of my hunting equpiment guns ect with me i left it all back home in ohio with my parents so am currently in the market for a few things, a new bow new shotgun and a new rifle, all suitable for Alaska hunting, I have been talking to some people and they all say to buy an ar15 ASAP if I ever want one, I don't really want one right now but definitely in the future, I would rather have a new shotgun or bow now but with possible gun bans i am not quite sure what to do what is your opinion on this?
Old 01-20-2013, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are so many different ways this could go it's hard to predict what will happen in this country. IMO, eventually some type of ban or restrictions will be placed on us, especially for AR and AK style rifles but I don't think it will happen this year. Many people think the prices will come back down in a few months but I'm not sure we'll see pre-panic prices for quite a while, if ever.

I think I would concentrate first on getting some equipment to hunt in Alaska. If you happen to come across a good deal on an AR and can afford it, jump on it.

How much hassle and cost would it be to get your gear and weapons from your parents in Ohio to Alaska? That would be worth looking into.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:11 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
There are so many different ways this could go it's hard to predict what will happen in this country. IMO, eventually some type of ban or restrictions will be placed on us, especially for AR and AK style rifles but I don't think it will happen this year. Many people think the prices will come back down in a few months but I'm not sure we'll see pre-panic prices for quite a while, if ever.

I think I would concentrate first on getting some equipment to hunt in Alaska. If you happen to come across a good deal on an AR and can afford it, jump on it.

How much hassle and cost would it be to get your gear and weapons from your parents in Ohio to Alaska? That would be worth looking into.
+1...

Pretty much agree here with VA...I don't expect any changes this calendar year...but as VA pointed out, I also don't think we'll ever see "pre-panic" prices ever again...I am glad I have all the "AR's" I need...whether or not I have all I want is another story... If I came across a good deal I'd buy it.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my opinion, for those who would like to own a AR 15 or any other of these type excellent semi auto defense weapons, the ability for unimpeded puchase is indeed grim.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's up in the air right now, seems to be going against our favor right now, so I'd encourage you to get on the phone, write some emails, and send some letters, then encourage all of your friends and family to do so as well.

You can d@mn sure bet the opposition is being vocal right now, so if we aren't, it ain't going to go our way!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't say that an AR 15 or AR 10 is the perfect choice for hunting in Alaska.

However, whoever thought we would have gotten to the point where AR's would be illegal; but we are nearing those cross roads now.

If you want to own any AR platform rifles I would highly recommend you buy them NOW !!!

Otherwise, I would recommend a synthetic stainless boltgun in 7MM RM, .30-06, .300 WM, .338 WM
Old 01-20-2013, 10:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do what ya gotta do to hunt legally in yer new home.

The AR scare is alive. Keep yer nose to the air and when you sniff a good deal go for it.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

They'll be banned, there'll be an administration change, the ban will be reversed. History has a strange way of repeating itself.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jerry d
They'll be banned, there'll be an administration change, the ban will be reversed. History has a strange way of repeating itself.
I would not be so sure of that. The 1994 ban was not overturned. It had a "sunset clause" in it which allowed it to expire 10 years later.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 01-21-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:18 AM
Spike

There won't be a national ban, at least one that passes the Senate and House. At the state level it is a different story. In New York, Connecticut, etc., you will not be able to buy one and I suspect there will be great deal of pressure not to allow grandfathered rifles. Though legal gun owners are pretty law abiding, my guess is that where the state wants them to get rid of rifles most will just shut up and put their AR or whatever in the back of the closet. In New York, with the magazine ban, I have heard from several people with now illegal magazines, that that is what they intend to do. In Connecticut people have told me that is also what they intend to do. As one person who I know has several ARs said when we talked about it, "What AR, sold them years ago?".

This is what happened in the 1990s when Connecticut instituted its ban. People were supposed to register them and very few people did.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.