Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Buying a gun out of state? >

Buying a gun out of state?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Buying a gun out of state?

Old 01-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Spike

Default Buying a gun out of state?

Can a person that can pass a back ground check buy a gun in a state other than where they live?
Old 01-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Banned

check with both states laws,
are you talking long guns or pistols?
for long guns, generally if the gun is legal in your home state, they will sell it to you,
some shops are not familiar with all states regs, and try only to sell to bordering states that they are more familiar with,
Old 01-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Spike

AR15, it's legal in my state, but I am having trouble finding them in stock.
I have to go on a road trip for work and wanted to know if I could buy one if I find one on my travels.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
one way I know it is legal, get a copy of your local FFL's license, whenyou wanna buy, pay for it, give him the lic. pay his fee, pay him to ship it to your ffl, pay your ffl his fee and fill out the forms, do the background check.
RR
#1...

Easiest way to do it...every state law is different, so you'll have to ask...and I have found some stores interpret state laws differently, I reside in Michigan and was working in Utah...Cabela's in Utah would sell me a rifle over the counter, Sportsman's Warehouse wouldn't...
Old 01-09-2013, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are only able to face to face purchase firearms in your own state and those contiguous to it. Any state not touching your own you'd have to have it shipped to an ffl in your state.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Spike

thanks for the info from everyone, much appreciated
Old 01-10-2013, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Go to your "local" FFL dealer - they will walk you through it.

For a fee, of course !
Old 01-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Typical Buck

Or, contact one of the big, online dealers (like Bud's) and I'm sure they'll help you do what you need to so they can make a sale. Some have a list of FFL's near you.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Murdy
Or, contact one of the big, online dealers (like Bud's) and I'm sure they'll help you do what you need to so they can make a sale. Some have a list of FFL's near you.
Unnecessary... Any FFL knows the drill, just order/purchase the gun anywhere, have your local FFL of choice mail/fax the selling party their information and FFL copy, then have it shipped to your local FFL to pick up at your convenience.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Unnecessary... Any FFL knows the drill, just order/purchase the gun anywhere, have your local FFL of choice mail/fax the selling party their information and FFL copy, then have it shipped to your local FFL to pick up at your convenience.

Right on.. Most sellers will ship the gun with a copy of their local FFL dealer they went through to the FFL dealer you wish to have receive it for you after they receive a copy of your dealer's FFL and shipping address. Be aware.. a lot of FFL dealers working on YOUR end of the deal will NOT accept a gun, and particularly a handgun unless it is accompanied by a current, signed FFL along with the shipment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.