Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Any info on an old Smith & Wesson .38 >

Any info on an old Smith & Wesson .38

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Any info on an old Smith & Wesson .38

Old 01-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Any info on an old Smith & Wesson .38

My brother has an old Colt SA Army in .38 Spec. Serial number 2**01. It appears to me to be in the range of 85-90% original. No box or papers. Was given to him as a gift amongst several other handguns from an old family friend before he passed away. My brother is wanting to get an idea for Insurance purposes what it may be worth and any info just for S & G's. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

At least you didn,t say it had a 4 inch barrel and get me hopping up and down.
I would check auction records to get an idea and check internet info to get an idea which are more collectible. there's info on build dates out there and if war era there were victory models.
Sorry no appraisal from me as i,m not unbiased! Seriously a reputable gun shop could give you a ball park idea, internet research will have given an idea of value you can compare to after shops valuation. and if a small fee were even required could give you concrete documentation of value.
You may know some insurance covers up to a certain amount before riders needed. likely its been checked and awaiting values.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by monoped
At least you didn,t say it had a 4 inch barrel and get me hopping up and down.
I would check auction records to get an idea and check internet info to get an idea which are more collectible. there's info on build dates out there and if war era there were victory models.
Sorry no appraisal from me as i,m not unbiased! Seriously a reputable gun shop could give you a ball park idea, internet research will have given an idea of value you can compare to after shops valuation. and if a small fee were even required could give you concrete documentation of value.
You may know some insurance covers up to a certain amount before riders needed. likely its been checked and awaiting values.
I believe it does have a 4 in barrel. I would have to check to be sure. I don't remember to be sure.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

Nice any length 4 just a personal favorite.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Update. I had the pistol today in my hand it is s follows.
Colt Single Action Army. .38 Special Heavy Barrel, 4-3/4" long. Original grips. Blade front sight, grooved top strap. Has stamped on left side of lower frame under cylinder "Pat Sept 19, 1871, July 2, 72, Jan 19, 75. I still put it in over 90% condition. Just wondering if this helps for someone to give a ballpark value of this weapon. Thanks.