Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Your favorite gun and why? >

Your favorite gun and why?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Your favorite gun and why?

Old 01-14-2013, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why do we feed the trolls?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:16 AM
Typical Buck

I can pick one. One model that is. Ruger No. 1 for me for life. I have them in lots of calibers. They are one of the best off hand guns ever made. There are rumors of them being inaccurate but I guess being a reloader that's never been a issue for me. I've one a ton of local shoots with them against custom built guns so I guess that accuracy thing is out the window. Even the 375 h&h can stay under 1" groups if I'm doing my part.

I love the trigger. I've heard complaints about creep and all that I guess I don't know what creep is because once I put my finger on the trigger it starts taking pressure off the sear. I do have two guns that could use a little stoning. I've never had one go over 4.5 on the trigger scale. I've seen other gun models hit 7 & 8 pounds of trigger pull for factory triggers. Most mine are sitting a 3-3.5 lbs. Would it be nice to go to 2.5 sure. I don't own target rifles but thats great for clover leaf groups for me.

Stock- Straight stock guns are my favorite. Smooth, fast, come up like a shotgun. It may kick but it don't bust your face and your shoulder.

Weight and balance of the guns are perfect. It's just in my opinion mind you is one of the best off hand guns ever made. But who shoots shots off hand? Ummm I do given the situation or competition.

Put it on sand bags and it's a damn fine bench gun for competition. I've won as many shoots as I've lost. That's a lot our club shoots all summer.

Shot cycle? In a steel challenge shoot, five shots from 100m to 500m my time is nearly 20 seconds faster than bolt action guys believe that or not. That time separates winners from losers.

Distance shots and accuracy. Our little big game shoot which is closest to center of the heart on an elk target at 550 yards (not a bench shoot standing, kneeling or prone). I've taken 3 1st place, 2 2nd place and 1 3rd place wins out of 7 years of the competition. I missed a year fell below target going for the heart. Once using my 25-06 Twice the 270 win and Three times the 300 win mag. I said closest to the heart. Out of the seven shoots I hit the heart five times even in wind. That my Ruger No. 1's. Not going to convince me they don't shoot. If a gun was ever built for a person that was my designed gun. It is my all around rifle I don't need any other rifle for any other reason.

I did have to shim the forearm on the 22-250 that is the only flaw I have ever had an issue with. And they don't like as much pressure on the forearm as other rifle designs do. But with that in mind it's all money in the bank. It's the only con that I could ever say about them.

And if I ever do build a target rifle it will be on a No. 1 action. If the factory rifles put holes in holes imagine what a trigger job and competition barrel will do. Look out Whittington Center here I come. Well that will be after the kids are raised.

I do have one gun they all look alike they all feel alike they all shoot alike to a point. They can be competition rifles, hunting rifles, brush guns. Ruger did it right in my opinion.

Best gun/s in my safe Ruger No. 1 That's passion boys and earned dedication.

Dispute if you like but Ruger No. 1 has given me everything I ever asked out of a rifle and more.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't dispute a thing you said about a Ruger and if I bought another one it would be the #1. I have a M77 with tang safety in 25-06 and it's one shooting son of a gun and deadly on antelope and deer out in Wyoming.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Saiga 12ga/ Ar-10
Old 01-15-2013, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ruger Mark II .22lr pistol. Absolutely love this pistol. Bought it when I was in high school for $90 from a buddy that got in trouble with his folks for buying it and needed to sell it quick. I'm hard pressed to decide I'd rather pass it down rather than have it buried with me. Nothing fancy, just a stellar shooter, and when it's in my hand, it hits whatever I need it to. We've been swimming in creeks/ponds/rivers on more than a couple occasions saving my hounds from coons trying to drown them, and killed more coons than I'd ever care to count. Eats anything I feed it and puts them on target. I'd give up a lot of people before I'd give up that pistol.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
Why do we feed the trolls?
haha
Old 01-18-2013, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

My favorite rifle is a Marlin 336SS 30-30 that's topped with a Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7x32mm scope. Yeah just about any rifle will kill a deer,and do it very well. But when deer hunting "out in the woods" a lever action rifle in 30-30 or 35 remington just feels like the right tool for the task at hand.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:21 AM
Spike

I love M16 because I always use it while playing Counter Strike.