Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
what am i doing wrong? >

what am i doing wrong?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

what am i doing wrong?

Old 11-16-2012, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default what am i doing wrong?

i have a 12 gauge pardner pump protector, i've had it a few months and have fired several rounds of buckshot through it. it fires great and its very accurate with the low recoil buckshot that i use, i deer hunt with it using slugs and it is accurate with those too. my problem is when i fire the slugs at times it will fire and the forarm will come back as soon as i fire, which will eject the fired casing but it won't release another shell up to be put in chamber. i push the forarm forward then release it back and it puts the shell in. i tried pushing forward on the forarm as i fire and then when i fire i push back and it ejects and puts a new round in. but its unnatural for me to do it that way, i prefer to holding back on the forarm. it doesn't do it everytime but does it quite regular with slugs, doesn't do it with shotshells or buckshot. whats going on?, i love this gun and its got so smooth on its action that it feel like its sliding on butter. thanks
Old 11-16-2012, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

well..to be blunt, its a cheap, loud, not built right shot gun. better for home defense. just the loud sounds it makes racking a round will scare intruders away. wasnt made to hunt with. not birds, not deer, not hogs. its chinese. go boom save family
Old 11-16-2012, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
well..to be blunt, its a cheap, loud, not built right shot gun. better for home defense. just the loud sounds it makes racking a round will scare intruders away. wasnt made to hunt with. not birds, not deer, not hogs. its chinese. go boom save family
its actually real quiet if i work it slow, its gotten so smoth that i can work it without making too much noise. i have a friend with the turkey model, same but only camo and screw in choke. and by the way mine shoots slugs it very good at taking deer or hogs if i see one.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think there is a problem.

If you pull back on the forearm and fire the gun, the forearm will move rearward. You just need to be sure it comes all the way back to pick up a new shell before pushing it forward.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by boomer92266
its actually real quiet if i work it slow, its gotten so smoth that i can work it without making too much noise. i have a friend with the turkey model, same but only camo and screw in choke. and by the way mine shoots slugs it very good at taking deer or hogs if i see one.
i feel ya, but its a cheap gun. go slide a benelli, the store will let ya hold one. feel the action.
as mentioned, pulling back on the action while shooting and not going all the way back can skip feed. i never tried racking mine using the trigger as the stop.
try lettin yer shoulder do the holding back, instead of yer forehand.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default Update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well it ain't the gun, kinda figured it was me. took it to my local gun store and we went outside and did some testing. here is what the gunsmith said to me. when i shoot slugs i have a habit of pulling back on the forarm which isn't a bad thing except i'm a small guy and the heavy kick flies the forarm back so fast the shells in the magazine are still reacting to recoil and didn't have time to settle to release. we tried low recoil buckshot and regular shot loads and the gun was perfect. with the slugs i had trouble 3 out of 5 times, the two times i didn't have trouble i hadn't brought the forarm all the way back during the kick, there was still about half inch movement left. when i brought it the rest of the way it released the next round. i was using winchester slugs but have remington too which i haven't tried yet. the smith wanted me to try something, he said just hold the forarm in my hand firmly and use my stock grip to pull back on the gun. i fired 10 perfect rounds, the forarm released but only came back slightly till i cycled it which was flawless. thanks for everyones help and by the way i got a buck yesterday on the last day of the season. thanks again
Old 11-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

Bottom line...you need to have a firmer grip on the forearm....even a good shotgun will often partially "rack" the slide when firing heavy loads (especially slugs) if one doesn't hold on firmly to the forearm.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's what I figured. So, show us a pic of your deer if you can.