Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
What makes a great hunting rifle? >

What makes a great hunting rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What makes a great hunting rifle?

Old 12-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Accuracy and power enough to kill what I'm hunting to the ranges I want to hunt them.

I want as much magazine capacity as I can get. When I'm meat hunting for deer, if I can get all of my doe on the ground from one group, the better for me. If I'm calling coyotes and a flock of them come in, I want them all on the ground. Load up in the morning, hunt all day without running out... That's what I want... I run 30rnd magazines on my AR's when I'm calling coyotes. My 6.8spc, I run 10rnds for deer (better feeding than my 26rnd mags). Upland hunting, I stoke 9rnds of 2 3/4" 12ga in the tube and start walking. Migratory birds (duck, geese, dove) are the only times I'm limited on mag capacity, which has happened about 4 times in the last 5yrs.

Trigger should be crisp, short 2.5-3lbs.

Weight isn't as big of an issue to me as handling and shootability. I almost never carry my rifle at low-ready while hunting anymore, even when stalking, so whether it's 7lbs or 17lbs, I just want it to be well balanced. I'm in good enough shape to hang whatever rifle I want over my shoulder for the hunting I do (rarely over 1/2mi from the truck, haven't been over 5mi from the truck in 5yrs).

Reliable and sure feeding, period.

Good optics. Clear, good performance across the gammut of low light to high light.

Stopping power good enough to pound DRT's whenever I put one on the button. Don't want to do too much meat or pelt damage, but I don't go afield undergunned.
Here is what he posted above: All he wants is lots of firepower! Good grief.

"I want as much magazine capacity as I can get. When I'm meat hunting for deer, if I can get all of my doe on the ground from one group, the better for me. If I'm calling coyotes and a flock of them come in, I want them all on the ground. Load up in the morning, hunt all day without running out... That's what I want... I run 30rnd magazines on my AR's when I'm calling coyotes. "

Were doomed. With new gun enthusiasts coming up like that were doomed.

"
Old 12-30-2012, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Accuracy and power enough to kill what I'm hunting to the ranges I want to hunt them.

I want as much magazine capacity as I can get. When I'm meat hunting for deer, if I can get all of my doe on the ground from one group, the better for me. If I'm calling coyotes and a flock of them come in, I want them all on the ground. Load up in the morning, hunt all day without running out... That's what I want... I run 30rnd magazines on my AR's when I'm calling coyotes. My 6.8spc, I run 10rnds for deer (better feeding than my 26rnd mags). Upland hunting, I stoke 9rnds of 2 3/4" 12ga in the tube and start walking. Migratory birds (duck, geese, dove) are the only times I'm limited on mag capacity, which has happened about 4 times in the last 5yrs.

Trigger should be crisp, short 2.5-3lbs.

Weight isn't as big of an issue to me as handling and shootability. I almost never carry my rifle at low-ready while hunting anymore, even when stalking, so whether it's 7lbs or 17lbs, I just want it to be well balanced. I'm in good enough shape to hang whatever rifle I want over my shoulder for the hunting I do (rarely over 1/2mi from the truck, haven't been over 5mi from the truck in 5yrs).

Reliable and sure feeding, period.

Good optics. Clear, good performance across the gammut of low light to high light.

Stopping power good enough to pound DRT's whenever I put one on the button. Don't want to do too much meat or pelt damage, but I don't go afield undergunned.

Now I understand the moniker; Nomercy ~ LOL !!!
Old 12-30-2012, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

For starters, Welcome to Huntingnet Savage 99.

Secondly, Thanks RR and Sheridan for the back up here, nice to get a tip of the hat from some of the statesmen here.

I don't feel the need to defend myself against Savages comments, if he wants to come in and take shots at me, I welcome the criticism, but since he's new, I'll give him the low-down on why I feel the way I do...

Sure, I'm a big believer in "burn as much powder as you need to". I like to play long range (not regularly as long as Ridge yet, but I'm getting there), but playing outside of 400yrds takes a bit more punch than inside. Frankly, I don't think anyone here (except Savage 99 obviously) would mis-represent that I have any semblance of "magnumitus"...

As far as magazine capacity goes, I still stand by it.

From 2001-2006, if there was meat in the freezer, it was a fair bet that it was killed and butchered by my own hand. I'd get 9 tags a year, and put 9 deer in the deep freeze. With our limited rifle season, it was nice to be able to score doubles or triples when I could. I put 4 doe in the dirt one morning in 5 shots. It's nice to get meat down early so you're panicking during late season about what you're going to be eating if you don't fill your tags. You WILL miss when you are shooting more than two deer at once, so having a few extra rounds in the mag to read the lead on the last of a triple is pretty convenient.

As far as blasting coyotes, Yup, that's what I'm after... I started calling coyotes over 20yrs ago with my family, only reason we called was to protect our livestock at that time. Still doing this service today. I put up fur, and make decent side money by taking care of my hides. When half a dozen dogs come into the call over wide open CRP or cow pasture, I want to put as many on the rack as I can. Do I "spray and pray"? No. Never said I did. But when I hammer one on static, swing to a second, third, and pray I can get to a fourth before they sneak out of sight, I need 1) a fast rifle, 2) low recoil, 3) good glass, and 4) enough downrange pop to do the job on the last dog that had more than a second or two of dead run to gain ground against me... There is a reason that it's hard to get permission to hunt deer, yet I get CALLED to come hunt coyotes. Deer are a limited commodity. Coyotes are an overpopulated nuisance, damaging to myself and my neighbors, I want to perforate every single one of them that I can.

Another two times that I use high capacity mags, or even multiple rifles, is on colony vermin (which are a great way to burn up barrels) and wild hogs. Before the fires in TX, a cattle partner of mine had hogs on his place so think that it has gotten out of control. I take two rifles to keep barrels cool, lay prone in a blind we built on top of one of his barns, pick off hogs for 10hrs a day a few times a year. As slow day was 20hogs, a good day would be 40, anywhere from 100-800yrds, some a touch farther. Did I miss a few times a day? Yup. Did a few require fast follow up shots to anchor them? Yup. Was I glad I was throwing 140-180grns at them? Yup.

So don't assume that your hunting experiences apply for everyone. Again, Welcome to the board.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

1) Accuracy
2) Simplicity
3) Reliability

Has to have these qualities, all equally,for me to buy a gun.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Often if you listen, you can hear the difference between opinion and experience.

"We" are blessed with some who are willing to share ~ just say, Thank you !

RR, Nomercy, & Topgun, my NAHC buddy (among many others) - THANK YOU & Happy New Year to you ALL !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 01-01-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's to 2012, and here's to high hopes for 2013! Happy New Year's back at you Sheridan, and to our other fine members here at Huntingnet! Been using here a long time, and there's a reason I keep coming back!
Old 01-01-2013, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

For starters, Welcome to Huntingnet Savage 99.

Secondly, Thanks RR and Sheridan for the back up here, nice to get a tip of the hat from some of the statesmen here.

I don't feel the need to defend myself against Savages comments, if he wants to come in and take shots at me, I welcome the criticism, but since he's new, I'll give him the low-down on why I feel the way I do...

Sure, I'm a big believer in "burn as much powder as you need to". I like to play long range (not regularly as long as Ridge yet, but I'm getting there), but playing outside of 400yrds takes a bit more punch than inside. Frankly, I don't think anyone here (except Savage 99 obviously) would mis-represent that I have any semblance of "magnumitus"...

As far as magazine capacity goes, I still stand by it.

From 2001-2006, if there was meat in the freezer, it was a fair bet that it was killed and butchered by my own hand. I'd get 9 tags a year, and put 9 deer in the deep freeze. With our limited rifle season, it was nice to be able to score doubles or triples when I could. I put 4 doe in the dirt one morning in 5 shots. It's nice to get meat down early so you're panicking during late season about what you're going to be eating if you don't fill your tags. You WILL miss when you are shooting more than two deer at once, so having a few extra rounds in the mag to read the lead on the last of a triple is pretty convenient.

As far as blasting coyotes, Yup, that's what I'm after... I started calling coyotes over 20yrs ago with my family, only reason we called was to protect our livestock at that time. Still doing this service today. I put up fur, and make decent side money by taking care of my hides. When half a dozen dogs come into the call over wide open CRP or cow pasture, I want to put as many on the rack as I can. Do I "spray and pray"? No. Never said I did. But when I hammer one on static, swing to a second, third, and pray I can get to a fourth before they sneak out of sight, I need 1) a fast rifle, 2) low recoil, 3) good glass, and 4) enough downrange pop to do the job on the last dog that had more than a second or two of dead run to gain ground against me... There is a reason that it's hard to get permission to hunt deer, yet I get CALLED to come hunt coyotes. Deer are a limited commodity. Coyotes are an overpopulated nuisance, damaging to myself and my neighbors, I want to perforate every single one of them that I can.

Another two times that I use high capacity mags, or even multiple rifles, is on colony vermin (which are a great way to burn up barrels) and wild hogs. Before the fires in TX, a cattle partner of mine had hogs on his place so think that it has gotten out of control. I take two rifles to keep barrels cool, lay prone in a blind we built on top of one of his barns, pick off hogs for 10hrs a day a few times a year. As slow day was 20hogs, a good day would be 40, anywhere from 100-800yrds, some a touch farther. Did I miss a few times a day? Yup. Did a few require fast follow up shots to anchor them? Yup. Was I glad I was throwing 140-180grns at them? Yup.

So don't assume that your hunting experiences apply for everyone. Again, Welcome to the board.
Very well said...I agree 110%!
Old 01-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Accuracy is most important to me.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
Do you think you could hit this.......................

again

I guess you were accurate he was DOA when he met the ground.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
Yup... That and a Savage rifle, more especially the .308 cartridge.

I'm not bragging, alright? I mean, I ain't the most incredible, legendary, shooter or anything. But, my Savage .308 did THIS at 100 yards while totally secured into a bench rest. (I have since clicked my scope up 4 clicks, so I'm 1" high at 100 yards, and haven't touched it since.)

Last edited by ButchA; 04-25-2022 at 04:42 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.