Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Ruger Compact >

Ruger Compact

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger Compact

Old 12-28-2012, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ruger Compact

Looking for first hand experience with this short barreled bolt action. Came across a guy wanting to sell his in 308 Win. Is the gray laminate, SS. Bought it for his daughter. She says too much recoil.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

If you don't want it, I may! I've shot this rifle in 7mm-08. At 100 yards it shot a good group. It was a nice looking rifle, and it felt good to shoulder and carry. I've got a relative that uses it for whitetail in PA. Nice and short, easy to carry. For a whitetail gun, it'd be nice to have.
-Jake
Old 12-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

My wife has two Ruger Compacts (which she loves): the .308 is blue / walnut and the 7mm-08 is laminated SS. The .308 is a bit snappy, but she tolerates it well. The muzzle blast is noticeable...especially if shooting from a ground blind or shooting house. For smaller framed people they are great as it's easy to modify LOP. Get it!
Old 12-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I picked one up for my son when he was 9 in .243, nice little setup. Dang thing is so small and light, pretty amazing. He's 15 (and big) now, and I asked him if he wanted a bigger gun, he said no way...that it was perfect. Looks like a little toy when he's holding it, but he kills everything he shoots at with it. I bet a .308 would be pretty nice. I like the ss/lam, ours is walnut/blued.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

I have seen them, really a nice looking gun, but I never shot one, I am guessing the 308's recoil to be pretty stout in that gun. I have a Savage Light Weight Hunter in a 308, it kicks harder than my Savage Weather Warrior 30-06.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Limbsaver recoil pad. Don't tell the guy that's trying to sell it to you...

A 7.5lb scoped .308win is going to thump pretty hard unless you're using a pad. Definitely not something that isn't manageable though. Flinching for recoil doesn't make a guy more manly, add a pad...

Somewhat funny that Ruger's current "compact rifle" line-up ALL feature wood or laminate stocks (which I prefer, personally), rather than going the "featherweight" route and adding tupperware.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

Bugs,

You mentioned it's pretty easy to modify the Length Of Pull on the Ruger Compact. Do you just add plastic spacers, or cut the stock?

Just curious on my 760 30-06 I'm looking at cutting the stock to change the LOP.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mee too Bugs, i'd like to know how do you modify the LOP.......as in make it longer. I know where there is one in 243 i wouldn't mine owning except the LOP is too short.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bucklessyooper
Bugs,

You mentioned it's pretty easy to modify the Length Of Pull on the Ruger Compact. Do you just add plastic spacers, or cut the stock?

Just curious on my 760 30-06 I'm looking at cutting the stock to change the LOP.
My modification was to shorten LOP as my wife is a little thing! I added a nice recoil pad for a finished LOP of just under 12 inches. For lengthening, I suppose some sort of spacer between the buttstock and recoil pad would be required...or buy a limbsaver slip-on pad and put it over the existing set-up.