Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Savage O/U question >

Savage O/U question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage O/U question

Old 12-22-2012, 04:15 AM
Typical Buck

Default Savage O/U question

Hey guys this is more of a gunsmithing question but that section of the forum looked dead and i need and answers somewhat quickly. I was shooting my savage model 24 0/U .223/12 gauge yesterday. I shot one high brass turkey load and about 5 shots of .223 through it. Next thing when i shot it broke open in my face. The shell didn't eject or hit me but i shot it once more hip firing just to make sure i didn't lock it weakly the first time. It opened again. So i'm thinking i have a weak latch. First i need to find a gunsmith. How much do you think a problem like this could run me?

Last edited by huntingkidPA; 12-22-2012 at 04:15 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 12-22-2012, 05:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

That sounds like what it would be and I don't think it would be that expensive for a new part and the labor, but I can't put a price tag on it since I'm not a smith. I'd call the Savage service department and see what they say before proceeding any further.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

The latch has worne down needs replaced.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Might be better served to look through Numerich and look for a latch you could install yourself. The spring might be weak, the release lever might be loose from the latch, a lot of things could be going on. I'd check it out first, figure out which part/parts are in disrepair, and then fix it. These aren't very complex mechanisms, no reason you can't service it yourself.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

ok well here is the deal. I disassembled it and cleaned it real well. It feels like its locking real solid, and it felt that way when i was shooting before. Now i was shooting this at my friends camp when it happened, that is 2 hrs away. I have a public range within a half hour of me. Is it a good or bad idea to test it there? if i do i can't hip fire it so i will be wearing safety glasses and hope the shell doesn't hit me in the face..I would just take a shot in the woods with it but my wmu is shotguns only.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:57 AM
Typical Buck

alright thanks RR