Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
ADL / BDL question >

ADL / BDL question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ADL / BDL question

Old 12-15-2012, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default ADL / BDL question

Can you take a rem 700 ADL and essentially make it a BDL just by changing the stock to one with a drop plate?

My dad has a .270 ADL rifle with a synthetic stock & matte finish. Its topped with a 3-9 Leupold and is an absolute tack driver. I guess he just got lucky, all he ever did was get the trigger adjusted down and it shoots factory 130gr core lock ammo at sub moa all day long. He even shot (2) 5 shot groups that were close to 1/2", which blows my mind. I know guys that have spent thousands on guns that won't do that...no idea why this one shoots so good - but no complaints!

Anyhow, the whole ADL loading is such a PIA...can you just find a BDL stock and swap it out? Will it work? I doubt he would ever do it...don't think he wants to touch it since it shoots so good, LOL - but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks
Old 12-15-2012, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...s-prod340.aspx
Old 12-15-2012, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks VA.

So can you use one of those kits and cut out the hole in the factory ADL stock? That seems like the only cost effective way to do it, assuming it can be done. Buying the kit AND a new stock would be pretty steep...unless you could find a stock for super cheap.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Can you take a rem 700 ADL and essentially make it a BDL just by changing the stock to one with a drop plate?

My dad has a .270 ADL rifle with a synthetic stock & matte finish. Its topped with a 3-9 Leupold and is an absolute tack driver. I guess he just got lucky, all he ever did was get the trigger adjusted down and it shoots factory 130gr core lock ammo at sub moa all day long. He even shot (2) 5 shot groups that were close to 1/2", which blows my mind. I know guys that have spent thousands on guns that won't do that...no idea why this one shoots so good - but no complaints!

Anyhow, the whole ADL loading is such a PIA...can you just find a BDL stock and swap it out? Will it work? I doubt he would ever do it...don't think he wants to touch it since it shoots so good, LOL - but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks
Loading isn't any different from one to the other. Unloading is. The upside is all the available aftermarket stocks you could pick from for
the BDL
Old 12-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

IMO when you get a factory rifle that shoots that good all day every day I would not touch a thing on it other than loading and unloading it!
Old 12-15-2012, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
IMO when you get a factory rifle that shoots that good all day every day I would not touch a thing on it other than loading and unloading it!
I hear ya, and honestly we'll probably never touch it. Its just a thought, because it sure is easier to use the door than the way ADL's are set up. Well, at least I know it can be done if/when we might ever want to.

skb...I hear what you are saying, however I load all my 700's from the bottom. I put a round in the gun, close the bolt..and flip it over and drop the other 4 in. Much easier (to me) then jamming them in from the top.

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's funny how people have certain preferences. I load and unload all my rifles from the top one at a time even though I can open the bottom and drop them all out when unloading. It's just the way I've done it over decades of shooting and hunting and I've never felt it was any big deal.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter

skb...I hear what you are saying, however I load all my 700's from the bottom. I put a round in the gun, close the bolt..and flip it over and drop the other 4 in. Much easier (to me) then jamming them in from the top.

Thanks for the info guys.
Guess I never thought of doing that. In my bolt guns I rarely put more than two rounds in the gun though. Years of hunting with single shots...most often one. Guys that hunt with me always get a laugh because I always save my brass and never eject it out on the ground....even elk hunting.