Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Connecticut Tragedy >

Connecticut Tragedy

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Connecticut Tragedy

Old 12-16-2012, 07:18 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
They were her registered handguns and that was an excellent post Sir!!!
X's TWO - (People Kill People)
Old 12-16-2012, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

Gentlemen, I stand corrected on my opening comments---possible overeaction to the misleading "facts" from the media---you are right, more will come to light as the investigation continues---
Old 12-16-2012, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by casual hunter
lets focus on the deranged mind not the weapons used,look what some terrorists did on 911 with just boxcutters,if guns werent used it would have been another weapon,if the mother had gotten her son some mental health help, this whole incident probably would not have happened
DON'T BLAME THE MOM, who knows what she went through with this nut!
Old 12-17-2012, 03:25 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by mr.mc54
i am not blaming the mother for anything,what i am trying to say is that maybe if people were more aware of the warning signs of mental illness this could have been prevented,most of the mass shootings that have happened were done my mentally sick people that gave warning signs that something was going on with them,if friends and family see theses changes going on,withdrawing ,isolation,mood changes,anger they need to step in and seek help.we cant just assume anymore that people are just going thru something and step up and get them help
Old 12-17-2012, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

There was a rather chilling article up on .msn yesterday title something along the line, "...I am Adam Lanza's Mother," detailing the struggles she faces with her own mentally ill son (drawing a parallel, she's not Nancy Lanza). She describes her other children implementing their "safety plan" (locking themselves inside the family car) when their brother has an outburst. Having to carry all the knives in the house with her in a Tupperware container. Showing up at the emergency room with him and pleading for the staff to call the police. I was shocked. I've never had that kind of window into that kind of situation faced by another parent.

My thoughts today are with two families who'll bury the little people who were their hopes and dreams for the future.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

To my knowledge any person with a mental illness problem can walk into a store and purchase any gun he wants if he doesn't have a criminal record. Nothing can be said about mental illness issues because of the federal HIPPA laws(the privacy act). Personally I don't believe anybody who has mental health issues has any business owning a firearm. I have worked in emergency for many years and trust me I have taken care of patients who I would defiantly not want them owning a gun. I have a buddy who takes care of all the firearm sales for a company, he said he can refuse to sell a firearm to any person who he thinks might be unstable. He is not trained in any way to pick up on mental health problems. He refused to sell a gun to one person because the person was having some anger issues that day. There needs to be some form of record keeping so people like this cannot buy a firearm, but that's where the HIPPA laws stop that. I realize that this scum did not buy these guns, he stole them, but he could have bought them if he didn't have a criminal record. I am NOT for gun control. I own several rifles, shotguns and a few pistols, but some people have no business owning a weapon. When I vote the first thing I look at is where they stand on gun control. This senseless tragedy just made me literally sick at my stomach. They were just babies.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Typical Buck

The Virginia Tech shooter bought his guns legally though he had a mental health issue in the recent path. Virginia changed the law so that someone like him could not buy them legally now. The only problem is, they would just get them illegally or like the CT guy did and kill someone they know who has them and steal them.

Prohibition didn't work, it just gave rise to the mob which we still have today. Criminalizing drugs hasn't worked, they have been illegal for decades and can be purchased on every streetcorner in America. Outlawing guns would be no different. In fact, I would say we would be less safe as now outlaws would know we are unarmed and home invasions would skyrocket. Whenever something is illegal, there springs up an underground market for it.

On top of this, any new laws would be an extreme over reaction. Your chance of dying in a mass murder are almost nill. Your odds of being murdered by is low. Your odds of dying in a car wreck are extremely high, 1 in 84 over your lifetime. Yet nobody would give up their car.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mr.mc54
She knowed her son was a mental case, therefor she should have had the guns safely out of his potential reach. Like in a gun safe, it is no different than leaving a loaded weapon where a child could get ahold of it.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dead people can't protect a gun safe Jim. With MOM dead, the kid had all the time in the world to locate and use any type of key for that safe.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

"Nothing can be said about mental illness issues because of the federal HIPPA laws(the privacy act)."
Not true, in Illinois, you have to get a FOID card (Firearm Owner's ID) before you can possess a firearm. They specifically ask whether you have a patient in a mental institution or "adjudicated as a mental defective." (also about drug addiction, criminal background, etc.). Of course you could lie, and I don't know how close they check.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.