Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
shooting slugs through a gun with a screw in choke >

shooting slugs through a gun with a screw in choke

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

shooting slugs through a gun with a screw in choke

Old 11-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default shooting slugs through a gun with a screw in choke

will it hurt to shoot slugs in a single barreled shotgun with a screw in choke? i will be using a improved cylinder choke tube with foster type slugs. will it blow my choke tube out? thanks
Old 11-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

i shot slugs thru my 870 with a choke tube and never had a problem remington makes a rifled choketube so there built for slugs
Old 11-23-2012, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

No, you could use up to a modified choke without damage. Or get a rifled choke for it also.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

No, shooting slugs through a choke tube is OK. I am a Armour for my agency and we shoot slugs out of them all the time. And as stripercrazy and stapher1 said, they make different styles for them and even rifled tubes as well, and they all work to boot!!
I have even seen guys shoot traditional slugs and even the saboted slugs out of a full choke without harm. SO FAR!!!! But that being said, I would not go over a modified constriction due to the funneling down affect and the sharp pressure spike of such being done.
Its also to be said that one does not increase or decrease accuracy over another. You just have to experiment with what your weapon prefers. Foster type, Lightfields, Brenneke,etc...
Old 11-25-2012, 05:38 AM
Spike

I shoot rifled slugs through my 11-87. I happen to use a rifled choke. I tested it on rifled slugs before buying sabots and found it to be accurate. The slugs cloverleaf at 50 yards and are effective out to 100 yards (dead deer). Before I got my Remington I used a 500 with a modified tube. It worked fine though a couple of deer might disagree.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Update!!

well i shot the slugs and the gun is fine, however it shot a foot low at 50yds. it has a 28" barrel and i'm thinking of cutting it down to 18.5 inches. i'm getting a shorter stock too, as the one on it is too long for me. will a shorter stock help me?, or cutting the barrel down? i would like for it to shoot slugs good but if nothing else i'll make a good camp and trapping gun. thanks
Old 11-25-2012, 03:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Depending on your stature a shorter stock may help you some. As for cutting the barrel down you will be shootin a 'cylinder' bore. This may or may not improve your shotgun's accuracy. But before you cut it down why not have a gunsmith look at it. He may be able to cut it down for you and rethread the muzzle for your choke tubes.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:14 AM
Fork Horn

the gunsmith in my area can't rethread for the tube, he can cut the barrel and thats about it. he works on the internals mostly, he doesn't do much cosmetic work on them. he says he doesn't have the tools.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

boomer what kind of gun is it? before you start cutting things, you may want to look at trades for other barrels or guns that might fit you better..gunsmiths can get pricey fast...i'd probly cut a stock before a barrel myself
Old 11-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by stripercrazy
boomer what kind of gun is it? before you start cutting things, you may want to look at trades for other barrels or guns that might fit you better..gunsmiths can get pricey fast...i'd probly cut a stock before a barrel myself
its a new england pardner with nickel receiver, 28'' barrel, screw in choke, and synthetic stock and forarm. thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.