Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Tikka T3 Accuracy Issue >

Tikka T3 Accuracy Issue

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tikka T3 Accuracy Issue

Old 11-19-2012, 07:06 AM
Typical Buck

Default Tikka T3 Accuracy Issue

I have recently acquired a Tikka T3 Lite SS in trade at a local gun show. Caliber is 7MM-08. Has a Sightron SII 3-9X42 mounted in the Tikka supplied rings. First thing I did was remove the action from the stock just to check things out. I didn't see any evidence of peening on the recoil lug. Rifle appears to have been fired very little and I ran some CR-10 down the bore and didn't remove anything with. Former owner appears to have cleaned it very well if he shot it very much. Scope seems attached securley & I haven't noticed any scope creep while shooting the rifle. I returned the action to the stock and tightened forward action bolt 1st & then the rear tang bolt. Rifle fits me well and feels great in my hands.

Next, I went to the range with a box of 140 gr. Rem. Core-Lokts and a box of 139 gr. SST Hornady Superformance. I fired four 3 round groups with the Remingtons and averaged about 3 MOA per group. I took other rifles with me and let the Tikka cool between groups. I switched to the Hornady's with just about the same results. I was very disappointed since I expected better performance out of this rifle.

I'm looking for suggestions from T3 owners. I noticed the recoil lug slid easily out of and into the recess for it in the stock. Should this have a tight fit where it stays put and must be removed by hand? I also noticed the barrel is not entirely free floating. It has about 4" of contact on both sides of the barrel directly in front of the action. Beyond this point the barrel is free floating. Is this correct for this model? I have never owned a Tikka before and have read many great reviews pertaining to accuracy. I have many other rifles & do my own handloading. When I have a bad day shooting I go to my Custom .280 Rem. If my groups are large with it I accept it's me not the rifle. I took the .280 with me and it did as normal & printed nice 3/8" clover leafs. This rifle is heavy and I was thouroughly enjoying the feel of the Tikka and looking forward to using it. However, 3 MOA is unacceptable. I wasn't expecting 1/2 MOA with fatory ammo but I was hoping an 1.5". Please comment on any thoughts you have. Especially, if I should relieve the barrel channel all the way to the action. Also, if changing the aluminum recoil lug out for the stainless steel replacement that is on the market. Have many done this. What about bedding the factory lug into the stock so it cannot move? all comments are appreciated. Thank You!
Old 11-22-2012, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Before moving on to more complicated gun related fixes I would make absolutely certain it was not a scope or scope mount issue. A Tikka should shoot way better than that but i suppose a lemon is possible with any manufacturer. Are you shooting it from a gun vise or with your hands from a benchrest?
Old 11-23-2012, 07:10 AM
Spike

Mine shoots clover leafs all day long at 100 yards. I use Winchester BST. I don't know if it's true,but I have had 2 different gunsmith's tell me not to use the SP from Hornady. I shot a box in my wifes 243 and couldn't get them to group either. I would also look at your scope or mounts. Something isn't right eitherway. Try another brand of ammo. What one gun shoots,another hates. That gun should shoot better than that. All ese fails,call Tikka. I hear their customer service is top notch.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:07 AM
Typical Buck

I have a T3 in 270 WSM and it also shoots clover leaf's all day long (as long as I do my part...which isn't every day). I found it shot all four of the the varied "test" loads I built for it when I first got the gun...the worst group was 1.75" (and it was a new rifle and the first time I had shot it)...I agree with others, in that I would first, swap out the factory rings/bases (I didn't much care for the factory rings and replaced with Lupy rings and bases)...and also try a different scope...I have more than once had a scope on a used rifle be bad...I too would also try different ammo...IMO opinion the two choices you used represent the far cheaper end of the spectrum and I have never really seen good results from core-lok's...except in one of my 30-30's.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Again check the scope and mounts. If not that it could be that you have not yet come across that "ideal" factory ammo load.

I helped a guy set up a Browning in 30.06 Spr. He had bought 11 (yes 11) boxes of different factory loads for us to test. We found 4 that grouped really good. We had 3 that were absolutely "MOA dogs" and the others were just OK. One was a legitimate sub 1 MOA shooter. That is the one he selected and he headed back to gather up as many boxes of that lot that he could afford.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with changing out the scope and rings. I don't own a Tikka, but do have a 700CDL in 7mm-08. It absolutely would not shoot either Rem. factory or Hornady factory ammo.. Before doing anything else, such as a scope change (I was shooting a proven performing Leupold VXII), or started fooling with the bedding, I tried a bit of handloading. I ended up with a combination of 48.0 gr. IMR 4350, 140 gr, Nosler Accubonds or Ballistic tips (they both shot equally well and to the same POI) in new Rem. cases with 9 1/2 Rem. primers. OAL of 2.790. This load shoots regularly sub-MOA on most days.
You may want to give this combo a try.. several other loaders I talk with also use it in their 7-08's, but as always when working up a new load, start at a reduced charge and work up in increments. Always be safe...

Last edited by Pawildman; 11-24-2012 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Forgot caution statement
Old 11-25-2012, 03:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Try a different scope as suggested. If that doesn't cure the problem and no evidence of tampering with the bedding is noted, give Tikka a call. My T3 fits very snuggly into the stock's mating surfaces. It should not be a sloppy fit and that may be your problem.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Spike

My Tikka T-3 light in 308 is my best shooter. I have a ruger I took apart and free floated the barrel and put back together-after that it wouldnt group better than 3-4" Found out I had torqued the 3 bolts that help stock together wrong. I redid to factory specs and fixed it. I fired about 3-4 boxes through it working on scope and everything else. Once i redid it with right torque specs it was a new gun.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:16 AM
Spike

Default Tikka T3 7mm/08 accuracy

Superpig. I have exactly the same accuracy with my Tikka T3 7mm/08. They could be identical rifles. Here is what I have learned. 7mm/08 can be very temperamental to get shooting right, no matter what make. Mine will not shoot factory ammo under 2" plus at 100 yards, no matter what. After extensive and expensive testing, I get the famous tiny Tikka cluster shooting 140 gr GameKings with 40.5 of Varget in a Winchester case. I don't shoot past 150 yards and get decisive results. I have epoxied lead shot in the fore end to help control muzzle jump and when shooting from a rest pull down on the sling to reduce jump as well. I am not sure of the old and tested recrown and bedding will improve things. I strongly suspect the short magazine allows too much jump, but can.t be bothered modifying it and firing another 100 or so test rouds. So I stick to my light load with Gamekings. If I were to travel this path again I would stick to a .308 or 30-06 both of which tend to shoot most projectiles well. AS for light recoil. in a T3 lite 20 rounds over the bench still hurts in a 7mm/08.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Todd1700
Before moving on to more complicated gun related fixes I would make absolutely certain it was not a scope or scope mount issue. A Tikka should shoot way better than that but i suppose a lemon is possible with any manufacturer. Are you shooting it from a gun vise or with your hands from a benchrest?
I tend to agree with Todd on this about the scope. But you also may have an issue with the recoil lug and the stock fit. Does it look like the recoil lug recess has been altered? My T3 is a bear to take down and get back together itis so tight. But it shoots very well. I would not hesitate to buy another.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.