Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Weatherby Vanguard S2 vs. Tikka T3 >

Weatherby Vanguard S2 vs. Tikka T3

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Weatherby Vanguard S2 vs. Tikka T3

Old 11-15-2012, 08:10 PM
Old 11-15-2012, 09:52 PM
Spike

I can't really comment on the Weatherby cuz I don't know that I've ever even shot one, but I own a .308 Tikka T3 Ultralite, and I love it. The action and barrel are the same as the Sakos, which are widely regarded as some of the best rifles on the market. Not sure if the trigger is the same, but it is a great trigger anyways. Of all my guns I like the action on the Tikka the most. I was a little put off by all of the plastic parts on the Tikka at first, but plastic is not a very accurate definition of the material. Its a very strong polymer that I have found to be much more scratch resistant than most synthetic rifle materials, and I have never managed to break anything on it. Shortly after I bought the gun, I bought an extra clip, out of fear that the rather flimsy feeling clip would break and leave me SOL in the middle of a hunt, but that has never happened. I have a friend who told me he once broke the piece that prevents the bolt from falling out the back, but it didn't render the rifle useless, and it was a cheap fix. The action is so smooth that if you leave the bolt open, it will slam back and forth bouncing around in a vehicle or when handling. Generally I leave the bolts open when I store my guns, so anyone who comes along can see that its not chambered, but with my Tikka I leave it closed to prevent any unnecessary bolt slamming just in case by friends accident wasn't a fluke. As far as accuracy goes, I am more than happy with my Tikka. Someone on this thread said that the T3 wouldn't come close to 1/4" at 100 yards, and I'll admit that right out of the box it didn't, but now that its good and broke in I know for a fact that it does shoot that accurate, or at least extremely close. In fact, when I sighted it in for Deer hunting this year using a sled and custom loads, I emptied the 3 round clip three times, and only once did it leave more than one hole on the target. And that was probably due to a poor load because I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to reloading. The only real gripe I have with the gun is that when the clip is loaded, you have to apply quite a bit of extra pressure to pop it in with the bolt closed, even though it goes in almost effortlessly with the bolt open. Not knowing this the first time I took it out hunting, I popped in the clip with the bolt closed, and didn't realize till I was about a quarter mile out that I had no clip. Luckily I found it, cuz a replacement is about $70 bucks, and if you ever held one of those clips you would know how steep that price seems. I'm sure the Weatherby would be a great gun too as I know a few people who have them and love them, but I would not hesitate to buy another Tikka T3, and I'm willing to bet you wouldn't regret buying one.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:57 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jauten7
hey guys im 19 years old and looking for a good rifle to last me a while that is affordable and accurate.

I think ive got it down to the Weatherby Vanguard S2 or the Tikka T3 what do yall think?

Also what caliber thinking about 30-06?

Thanks
You should note that the 270 is a superior cartridge to the 30-06.

Flatter and faster flying.

The next better cartridge to the 270 is the 7mm mag. But as a young man you probably do not yet have the bone and muscle mass to handle any of the magnums yet.

The next better cartridge to the 7mm mag is the 300. That's just FYI.

The best made rifles are the Remington and the Winchester, due to their superior metal characteristics. Anything else is cheaper. J a p a n has a great reputation for steelmaking however, so a J a p a nese made Weatherby would be a pretty good bet.

I prefer to buy American anytime I can. But sometimes if you find a superior product that is foreign made then you can't really get around it. My 45ACP double stack is Czech. All my other guns are American.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:50 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Shoobee

The next better cartridge to the 270 is the 7mm mag. But as a young man you probably do not yet have the bone and muscle mass to handle any of the magnums yet.

The best made rifles are the Remington and the Winchester, due to their superior metal characteristics. Anything else is cheaper. J a p a n has a great reputation for steelmaking however, so a J a p a nese made Weatherby would be a pretty good bet.

I prefer to buy American anytime I can. But sometimes if you find a superior product that is foreign made then you can't really get around it. My 45ACP double stack is Czech. All my other guns are American.

what?? the 270 is superior?? c'mon.. And i wouldn't call remington the best of anything. there are many good guns out there.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ruffryder1221
The action and barrel are the same as the Sakos, plastic is not a very accurate definition of the material. Its a very strong polymer
I doubt the barrel and the action are the "same" as Sako. Why would Sako put their "meat and potatos" on a gun then charge 2/3rds less for the gun?

As far as the stock..IMO it's a piece of cr@p as are most of the factory offerings in synthetic. Molded injected stocks are a cheap inexspensive way of producing stocks.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Shoobee

A 19 year old man does not have the bone and muscle mass to handle a magnum cartridge? I know plenty of men in that age range that can handle that level of recoil.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jerry d
I doubt the barrel and the action are the "same" as Sako. Why would Sako put their "meat and potatos" on a gun then charge 2/3rds less for the gun?

As far as the stock..IMO it's a piece of cr@p as are most of the factory offerings in synthetic. Molded injected stocks are a cheap inexspensive way of producing stocks.

I think the barrels may be from Sako but not sure of anything else.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Isn't repeatable accuracy what reigns supreme ?

Just checking......................because otherwise ???
Old 11-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't call the 270 superior strictly because it shoots light bullets faster then the '06s heavier bullets. I would give the edge to the '06 due to bullet selection, and caliber size over a 270 for big game. I also wouldn't claim the M700 being the best, or one of the best. Theres plenty of good rifles out there, and most outshoot the shooters. Personally, I have a pair of new haven made M70s, and they dispell the legends of how superior remington's push feed action is in terms of accuracy. I can also say, I bought a 7mm mag when I was barely 20. Still own it, and still shoot it. I was a tall scrawny guy back then, no less.