Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Best Camping, Hiking and Wilderness Survival >

Best Camping, Hiking and Wilderness Survival

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best Camping, Hiking and Wilderness Survival

Old 11-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Spike

Default Best Camping, Hiking and Wilderness Survival

OK folks. I'm looking for some insight on what handgun caliber, action and barrel length would best suit me. The keyword here is ME. I'm on the short side (around 5'4'') and fitting anything for me is a chore and a half and firearms are no different. As far as handguns go, I've only shot 9mm and .44 magnum. I'm not exactly comfortable with the .44 and know the 9mm won't stand up to any threats in the woods. So here's the deal:

I'm looking for a revolver either SA or DA with a short enough barrel length for someone my size to easily and quickly draw and handle confidently. The second major need is a caliber that isn't overkill and preferably cheap, readily available and comes in lever action rifles as well.

I come from the hills of West Virginia and coyotes, wolves and the rare but possible black bear are the only threats I may need to take down in a pinch.

I know a rifle is the best choice for fending off these critters, but I'm looking for a sidearm...the smallest, lightest and most comfortable handgun I can handle that can still stop a threat in its tracks.

Another thing I would prefer is a classic style, I love my lever actions and have always wanted a durable, simplistic revolver chambered in a common and classic caliber (.45LC, .44mag...) But the major emphasis is on size, weight and stopping power. As far as I can tell the .44 magnum is the best option, but will a .357 do the trick? I know the .44 I shot was by no means too much to handle, but was far too much to handle comfortably...should I just get a hold of a buddy or find a gun dealer with a range and get myself a bit more used to it? I've heard that with time and enough rounds I could get just as comfortable with a .44 magnum than I am with my 9mm.

Any input or experience here would be appreciated. I know what others prefer, but for my size and lack of experience with larger caliber handguns, I'm a bit lost.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not saying it is the best, but it is Dam good, & that is the Ruger GP100 in .357, From what you describe it would be a 3 or 4 inch, It is just my opinion!! but I would stay with the Ruger or Smith & Wesson brands, Yes, there are other brands that are pretty good but why not spend a few bucks more & get a quality gun. The Ruger SP101 would be a nice option also, a smaller, lighter, a good gun, but I like the "Beef" of the GP100, again JMOP Doc
Old 11-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.gunsamerica.com/958532933...170280_NIB.htm

this looks like a big arse gun, but its so heavy it dont really kick.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

357 mag. Would allow 38s for plinking. 4 inch barrel for accuracy. 44mag gives me trouble,though it can be down loaded. Getting the right grips to fit your hand a big part in getting on well.
Good luck on your wheelgun search!
Old 11-13-2012, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

You seeing lots of wolves in WV?
Old 11-14-2012, 04:40 AM
Typical Buck

a .357 with a 4 or 5" barrel will suit you just fine.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wolves, bears...really.
4" S & W model 66 .357 magnum
Old 11-14-2012, 09:12 AM
Spike

Wolves and bear are very rare...but the scary part is that they are mostly seen closer to civilization than miles out into the wilderness. I have seen a few, but a few too many black bear...all within a couple hundred yards of home which was these times were in good old suburbia not much over a mile outside of the major towns. Wolves are the same, rare but still existent. I really haven't been bothered or even remotely threatened by either...but they are here and too close to people than I'd like. Coyotes are the only threat that I will indefinitely deal with regularly. I was followed and surrounded by a pack of coyotes just out of sight while trying to gut and clean a deer last year...I don't want to experience that again unarmed
Old 11-14-2012, 09:18 AM
Spike

Ok, so I'm seeing a good bit of .357 Mag being suggested and I have seen plenty of them with the 4'' barrel. Here's another thought I forgot to mention:

I've been looking into Cimarron, Uberti and Pietta SA revolvers mostly chambered in .45, .44 and .41. I'm a fan of the frontier, western and cowboy attitude and weapons so these really appeal to me. How would one of these fair in the woods? I'm looking into the classic .45 LC and really wish I knew someone who had one I could try. Is the recoil as bad or worse than the .44?

Forgive my inexperienced questions regarding handguns, I love my 9mm but haven't shot any larger caliber handguns.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

44 special

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.