Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
suggestions? >

suggestions?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

suggestions?

Old 10-23-2012, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default suggestions?

I'm starting to look at getting my son a new rifle. I shoot a .280, was thinking of the same calibur for him. Not sure when I'll pull the trigger, figured I'd get some feedback.

My dream gun would be a Rem Mountain Rifle LSS, but man they are about $1k now. I can't lay that much out.

Any suggestions as to some other model in .280? I'm partial to Remington, but open to suggestions. I've been out of the gun market for so long - I just don't even know who makes what these days, and what is good or what to avoid.

FWIW, he shoots a Ruger Mark II compact .243 right now - but its a tiny gun that he's used since he was 8 (now 14) so that is why I'm beginning to look. And BTW - it has been a great gun for him, I highly recommend it for a kid. (Heck, he may be using it for alot longer the way these prices are these days)
Old 10-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing wrong with the Ruger compact. Perhaps the new Ruger American would fit the bill? There are certainly many good choices depending on budget, use, ergos, etc.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Could the ruger be restocked for a better fit? Or just add to butt to lengthen trigger pull. It would allow time for you two to shop with leisure for a 280.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Spike

Swing over to Cabela's and pick up a composite A-Bolt for $500. Get a .308 Win. Extremely versatile and doesn't kick too much harder than your .243.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cheeseball
Swing over to Cabela's and pick up a composite A-Bolt for $500. Get a .308 Win. Extremely versatile and doesn't kick too much harder than your .243.
The $500 Abolt beats the HELL OUTTA the cheap adl/sps 700s! I have 3 700s, a 70s model 30-06 BDL, a 80s model 30-06 ADL and a 90s model Custom Shop 280 LS/SS. I also have a SS Abolt 7mag and a 270 Medallion. With the exception of my Custom Shop 280, the Abolts have it allover the 700s.

Since you are a 280 fan, consider also the 7-08. I LOVE the 7-08, it's just so SWEET!!!
HL
Old 10-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Spike

I would look at a Savage with the accutrigger, Tikka or the Browning mentioned above. All of these are much better then the cheaper Remingtons.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info guys. I'll do a little research. I'm not really interested in a cheapo per se, but also don't want to spend a grand for just the gun. Never owned an ABolt, but have always thought highly of them.

I have a couple guns I could unload to offset the cost, but honestly its such a hassle I haven't done it. And for what its worth, its not that he's in dire need of anything. Heck, that little ruger is a slayer - he kills everything he aims at with it I actually haven't even talked to him about it...he might tell me I'm crazy, he's using that .243 forever!

I have always like the 7mm-08, and in fact almost got one for him about 6-7yrs ago. Ended up with the .243 on a deal I couldn't pass up. Ironically, since I started talking about them and almost pulled the trigger on it - no less than 5 guys at our camp have purchased one. Three of them used to use 7mag's, they've since hung em up. LOL. Took them 20-25yrs to finally realize they didn't need that to kill a deer, and they were tired of the noise and pounding. Thats actually one of the reasons I was leaning towards the .280 - so he could have something different. (plus the fact we could use the same handloads most likely). Heck, I might even entertain a .260
Old 10-24-2012, 12:34 AM
Spike

Can't give you much advice since I don't really shoot .280 but A bolts are good guns and 7-08 is a nice round also. If you plan on unloading some of your current guns let me know, I have family in WV close to PA that could be interested.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:10 AM
Fork Horn

280/7mm express is a nice round, as you get the bullet selection of the 7mm's. Sadly its never been real popular, and is very underated. I don't think I would want a mtn rifle in that caliber personally, as it will have a bit of a kick with it being that light. I would look at the browning A and X bolts, and winchester featherweights. If they dont have a 280, look at the 270, 7mm-08(it is to the 308 that the '06 is to the 280), or one of the 30 cal's.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. I actually shoot a mountain rifle, and absolutely love it. The size, weight - everything is perfect for me, and the type of hunting I do. It doesn't kick much either, actually. Certainly more than a 7mm-08, but nothing like a magnum of any cal. Its only about 1/2lb lighter than the bdl's (I think).

I stopped in gander today just to peek. They had stainless/synthetic abolts for $699, but don't offer many cal options. The xbolt was $1099 which seemed awful high. ? It did have more cals available. To hold them in my hand, I wasn't overly impressed with either of them. It was nice, but the stock (to me) felt cheap. The wood guns were in the $800 range for blued models. I don't understand their pricing, and only had a few minutes so I didn't have time to try and figure it out.

WV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.