Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

22 Hornet..

Old 10-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default 22 Hornet..

I have purchased a single shot 22 Hornet with see threw sights and a 4 power scope. This will be for my son to use with me this fall. I choose the single shot as it helps ensure acurate shooting as well as the Hornet was always a pretty flat shooting rifle.

So what is your take on a 22 Hornet?? I always used to like them pretty well.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great little cartridge. Low noise level, no recoil and great for fur hunting. If you are going to reload for it, use Winchester 296 and don't look back.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Generally all single shots have no safeties be sure to train him thru that fact. Be sure to train him that once cocked the barrel must be pointed in a safe direction until fired or uncocked. Go thru the uncocking with him for sure.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, I am inclined to agree with you on the scope mounts. Also I see no need to try and use the sights as they are generally a pretty flat shooter.

Yes uncle matt, that is one thing I am big on. The safe useage of any firearm being a must have. I will be making very sure he understands well before letting him use it.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

I picked up a ruger 77/22 in 22 hornet earlier this year to try out on coyotes. Haven't had it out in the field much yet, kind of on a 223 kick right now, I go through stages. But the hornet shoots really well. It did take me some time to work up a nice reload that I was happy with. I would say it is the most picky rifle I own, but she seems to really like Hornady 40 gr. v-max. I'll dig it back out after deer season for sure, but for now I'm working on a good hard hitting 308 winchester load for a moose hunting trip up in zone 5 (Maine). We got the november week up there (cow permit).
Old 10-26-2012, 01:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have a Savage M40 in 22 Hornet. It's a single shot also and a great rifle.

It did OK with factory loads, but really shines with Hornady 40 grain V-Max bullets and Hodgdon Lil`Gun powder.

100 Yards

150 Yards

Old 10-27-2012, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

What will he be using it for?

I'm a big fan of the .22 Hornet, and it seems like ammo availability for it is surging back in the last few years (compared to say 5-10yrs ago). Or maybe I just complained enough at my local shops and they started stocking more for me...

For deer, it's a super-specialty rifle. It's not too far off of a short barreled .223rem, and yes, it will kill a deer, but no, I wouldn't say it's a deer rifle. Guys use them, and I wouldn't hesitate to take one out, but I'd acknowledge that I'd be passing on a LOT of easy shots.

For coyotes, it's a short range proposition. A little more pop that a .22WMR, but again, not as much as a .223rem. I limit my shots basically the same for a .22WMR and a .22H, maybe a little longer for the hornet (100-150max for the .22WMR, 150-200max for the hornet), but I can depend on better killing power out of the .22H.

Bobcats and Fox are the reason I own a .22H. Fantastic round for these predators. Enough stuff to reach out and deliver fast kills, but gentle enough to save me a lot of needle time, and helps avoid ruining a $150-200+ cat.

For small game, squirrels, rabbits, crows, etc, it's a little expensive compared to a .22lr or .22WMR, but it's fantastic in the field. If you don't mind the ammo cost (compared to .22lr), you'll definitely love the performance.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

my favorite caliber.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

What will he be using it for?
He wants to hunt some coyotes with it. I am going to have him try it out on a buck if he gets to see one with me. I did run a box of shells threw it last week and it shoots great! So I am hoping he will with it as well.. I did give him a good talking to about it and how far it can caryy ect.. I may even try it out on some yotes this winter..
Old 11-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

What bullet are you using for big game zerepilot? And what was the shot placement on that axis - just behind the ear?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.