Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Pros, Cons and Opinions please... >

Pros, Cons and Opinions please...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Pros, Cons and Opinions please...

Old 10-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Spike

Default Pros, Cons and Opinions please...

Hello all,

I've recently gotten back into hunting and need to make a couple investments as it were. I checked out various forums and y'all seem to know what you're talking about, so I figured this would be the best place to ask. I'm sure a number of these have been debated before and I'm sure a number of people will refer me to previous threads, but that's kind of the point. Anyway, here goes:

1) I'm looking for an all around shotgun for pheasant, waterfowl (geese included), deer and turkey. After a fair amount of research, I think I have settled on the idea of a combo gun, the two in question being the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500. Any information would be helpful, but I'm particularly interested in the longevity of the gun as well as the durability/ruggedness. Basically, can you drag it through the woods all day and still have it shoot straight year after year (with maintenance of course) and is it worth paying the extra $$ for the Remington? Also, is a rifled barrel really even necessary for the type of shots you'd take at a deer in New England forests?

2) Small game hunting! I'd welcome any opinions on rimfires for squirrel and rabbit. I have a thing for bolt action Marlins because that's what I grew up with, but I'm wondering if semi-auto isn't the way to go. The Model 60 and Ruger's 10/22 both look like good options in that regard, but I also have a strong urge to stick with the bolt action. I feel like a follow up shot would be about the same with either, though preferably a follow up shot wouldn't even be needed. I've always told that the bolt actions are usually more accurate and, from my experience, that seems to be true. Any thoughts?

I think that about covers it for the moment. Thanks very much.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

My opinion is you don't need to waist money on a Rifled barrel. With my $169 Walmart 12 gauge. Smooth barrel. I can hit paper at 100 yards w no scope with rifled slugs. I have no opinion between the 500 and 870.
On the Rimfire. I like the 10/22. Very versatile. But if you can put 22 Magnums in the bolt action then it's a hard choice. But if you can't use Mags then the 10/22 hands down.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I'd be looking at the 870 over the 500. My true personal choice would be (and is) the Benelli Supernova, but it's not on your list. I have had 3 500's and 5 870's in the past, and these days, I'm down to 2 870's (a wingmaster and a police) and 5 Benelli Supernovas (various stocks and barrels, plus my wife has one).

The 500 just doesn't thrill me. Is it a budget friendly workhorse? Sure it is. Will it work for years? Yup. Is the 870 a better built and better handling weapon? Yup.

As far as the combo gun, I'd say yes, get the rifled barrel. Rifled slugs from a smoothbore can be very impressive for what they are, but personally, if I'm doing much slug hunting, I want 1) better accuracy, 2) better trajectory, and 3) better handling (shorter barrel). Being "on paper" at 100yrds doesn't mean squat for deer hunting. Posting 3" groups at 100yrds does.

The only downfall I see with this is that the combo guns, or extra barrels, generally cost enough to have bought another gun for only $100-200 more. And for my use, sometimes it's nice to sit a deer stand in the morning, go walk down some pheasant over lunch, then get back in the stand in the evening, and swapping barrels to do so is annoying at best.

Regarding your rimfire, the Ruger 10/22 and the Marlin 60 are generally considered the standard for small game .22 long rifles. For a bolt gun, the Marlin bolt guns are fantastic, and incredibly accurate, but have terrible triggers. I'd honestly prefer the Savage 93 over the Marlin, and would strongly suggest the CZ 455 or 452 as well. I have a Marlin 17 in .17HMR, a Savage 93 in .22WMR and .17HMR, a Savage Mark II in .22lr, and a CZ 452 "Varmint" (used to play Silhouette). All of these are fantastic rifles, but the CZ and the Savages accuracy just stand out ahead of the Marlin (and the marlin trigger SUCKED from factory).
Old 10-20-2012, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

If not going with a scope, I would look into a mossberg. If I remember correctly, Mossberg used to have a spare barrel you could buy that was smooth bore but had rifle sights on it. I tried using a bead on a shotgun to sight and it is a joke. I have hunted shotgun areas off and on for years and really have never shot more than about 75 yards. I do have a scope on my single shot smooth bore and at 75 yards it hits where I aim. I can't justify paying $2.00 to $3.00 a shell when good old lead is working for me. The only thing is shotguns are finiciky about ammo. You may have to shoot a couple of different brands to find the best shooting ammo for that gun.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by daleintampa
On the Rimfire. I like the 10/22. Very versatile. But if you can put 22 Magnums in the bolt action then it's a hard choice. But if you can't use Mags then the 10/22 hands down.
You cannot shoot .22long rifle rounds out of a .22Win mag, bolt action or not.

Yes, the .22lr will chamber and fire from a .22WMR chambered rifle, but no, it SHOULD NOT BE DONE. The .22LR is a smaller diameter case than the .22WMR, and you run the risk of case rupture if you fire Long Rifle rounds out of a Magnum chamber. This can cause serious damage to your gun, as well as serious injury (or worse) to the shooter.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
You cannot shoot .22long rifle rounds out of a .22Win mag, bolt action or not.

Yes, the .22lr will chamber and fire from a .22WMR chambered rifle, but no, it SHOULD NOT BE DONE. The .22LR is a smaller diameter case than the .22WMR, and you run the risk of case rupture if you fire Long Rifle rounds out of a Magnum chamber. This can cause serious damage to your gun, as well as serious injury (or worse) to the shooter.
I didn't know if you could or not. Nor did I say to do it. I said IF there is a Bolt action rifle that was able to use both then it's a hard choice. But since you can't. I say 10/22.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Spike

Remington 870 with a rifled cantilever barrel/ vent rib barrel and a Ruger 10/22 have it covered. Nuff said.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by daleintampa
I didn't know if you could or not. Nor did I say to do it. I said IF there is a Bolt action rifle that was able to use both then it's a hard choice. But since you can't. I say 10/22.
Herein lies the inherent hazard of advice given/taken from an internet forum. Let the reader beware.

When you don't know something technical with any degree of certainty ("IF"), then it's far better not even to introduce the idea or suggestion. Stick with what you know or have experienced.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:27 AM
Spike

Not sure what your budget is but if you can afford go ahead with the benellis. From big game to small game to water fowl benellis will not let you down not sure how hard finding a rifled barrel for one will be but there's always 00buck shot. Ruger 10/22 is the most adaptable .22 platform on the market. Hands down a no brainer but Savage should not be over looked if you want to spend a little more in the shotgun section, savage will help you save in the .22 area. They are some of the most accurate guns out if the box, alot come stock with accu-trigger and the bolt action models will make you that much more accurate. Hope this helps.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

Fitting for me on stock 10/22 way off,as mentioned though lots of options for one. Left it to an ex. I hunt with an sears and roebuck semi auto and Stevens 15 bolt. Bolt alot lighter. No doubt as to durability. 12 guage mag 870 feels like i,m swinging a 2x6 if unused a while. she is tough. have had issues with a dirty shooting goose load causing hull to jam.(fouling in chamber).
I try to avoid shotgun deer hunting but with scoped smoothbore barrel it shoots surprisingly well,
Avatar shot with it just over 10 yds. Next deer about 80 yds,as far as my skills with it are comfortable on deer. (Yes shooting the cheap stuff). With caution a used combo turns up on occasion. Find what feels right when mounting and pointing,swinging. 870 for me, not nimble enough for birds,clays. A very old ithaca 20 model 37 feather lite is. Easy to tote and with index finger against fore arm pointing is part of me. A deal on one of them in a combo i,d be delighted. Should you happen upon one in 12 guage check it for fit! Used to see slug barrels in the newspaper for a hundred bucks.shoulda,woulda,coulda. Good luck. Let us know what you wind up with?.

Last edited by monoped; 10-24-2012 at 06:56 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.