Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Tikka T3 Lite Package, $599? >

Tikka T3 Lite Package, $599?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tikka T3 Lite Package, $599?

Old 09-29-2012, 05:19 AM
Spike

Default Tikka T3 Lite Package, $599?

Hi everyone,

I have been looking around for a new hunting rifle for a while now. I have looked at Remington 700s, Winchesters, Savages and Thompson Centers. I also came across a brand that I was not that familiar with - Tikka. The particular model was the T3 Lite.

My question - I have located a package deal of a new T3 Lite with a mounted Burris Fullfield II 3x9x40 scope for $599. Good deal? I'm not too familiar with Burris scopes but this one seems to retail for $179-199 and people seem to like them. It's not a cheap $40 scope like a lot of package deals have on them.

Also, only concerns with the T3 are the plastic bolt shroud (which can be replaced) and some folks say the mounts are garbage, although these mounts on this particular unit look good. They are not the single nut type.

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2012, 11:17 AM
Spike

Hi All,

Maybe I included too much information in my original post. My main question - Is a Tikka T3 a good choice? The actions are so smooth, and the barrels are quality.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:59 PM
Typical Buck

I have a T3 Stainless Lite in 270 WSM...this will be my third deer season with it as my primary rifle and I love...love....love it! The first three shots out of the box @100 yards could be covered with a quarter (with handloaded 140g Nosler AccuBonds). The trigger breaks like glass and and is adjustable...free floated target crown barrel. I have no complaints what-so-ever with my Tikka and would buy another in a heartbeat. The price listed is very fair...I also didn't like the factory rings and added Lupy turn in rings/bases. I am sure the Burris will work...I don't have one and never have so can't speak for then but there are some fans of theirs on here. PS...the Tikka is made by Sako...a very respectable manufacturer of high end rifles.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:05 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info. I purchased the Tikka T3 Lite today in 30-06. Can't wait to shoot it and see how it performs. Any recommendations for factory loads? I was thinking of trying Hornady or Winchester Supreme.

Thanks again!

Last edited by jtherrien1624; 09-29-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jtherrien1624
Thanks for the info. I purchased the Tikka T3 Lite today in 30-06. Can't wait to shoot it and see how it performs. Any recommendations for factory loads? I was thinking of trying Hornady or Winchester Supreme.

Thanks again!

I have always had good luck with Federal ammo.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

If you got the Tikka T3 lite with the Burris scope for $599.00 then you got a screaming deal. I bought the same setup as you but in 270 win. And I love it !!! I load my own ammo. I would buy either the Barnes or Winchester ballistic silver tip. Dicks sells the Barns. Their the best IMO.
As for the Burris scope. It's great. It does it's job. I will re scope my rifle next year and will use Talley scope rings.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:38 AM
Spike

I did get the package for $599. Very happy with that!

Thanks for the ammo recommendations. I've heard good things about Barnes ammo also.

Can't wait for deer season!!
Old 09-30-2012, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jtherrien1624
I did get the package for $599. Very happy with that!

Thanks for the ammo recommendations. I've heard good things about Barnes ammo also.

Can't wait for deer season!!
I like the Barnes ammo myself and forgot to recommend it. I have a TC Icon in 308 Winchester that loves the Barnes Vor-TX 168 grain TTSX's. Always remember though, you need to try it in your rifle. Some rifles can be picky about ammo. My T3 in 25-06 did not like Hornady ammo.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Spike

I got a Tikka Lite in 270 last year. I really like the gun and it drives tacks! I shoot Winchester BST'S in mine from Wal-Mart.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jmartin1
I got a Tikka Lite in 270 last year. I really like the gun and it drives tacks! I shoot Winchester BST'S in mine from Wal-Mart.
Yep. I have the 270 also and the accuracy is Unbelievable !!! Practiced out of the tree stand today.