Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Remington 700 ADL 30-06 >

Remington 700 ADL 30-06

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 700 ADL 30-06

Old 09-26-2012, 03:52 PM
Spike

Default Remington 700 ADL 30-06

I am considering buying a used 700ADL in 30-06. The gun in mint condition except for a hair line crack in the stock. The 3 inch crack is in front of the trigger guard on the corner where the side meets the bottom. I researched the price for a new stock, which I will deduct from the value of the gun. Not sure if swapping out the stocks is something I will do or a gunsmith will do & how much they would charge to do it. Any comments ? Thoughts on this gun? The crack has me on the fence.

Thanks in advance....
Old 09-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

A stock is an easy swap if you can get one for the right price. Plenty of those stocks around. Figure that into your purchase price, and if it's a good price go for it.
-Jake
Old 09-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

plenty of stocks out there and only two screws holding it on. It's an easy swap.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

A stock swap would do it. Boyds offers some good ones or you fin one at a gun show easy.

A crack can be repaired in many cases. Look at websites that deal with old military surplus guns. It's very common to make repairs on cracked stocks with old milsurps. Acraglas is good cause you can drizzle it right in. I've used devcon two-ton epoxy on a mauser and a mosin-nagant to good effect, though I didn't have to thin it. I'm guessing you could thin it with acetone if you had to.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can get the guy to deduct the cost of a new stock, then go for it! You could fix the original and pocket the $$$. Also , check around for "used" take off stock. I ahve seen many, many of these for a Rem 700 at gun shows .... cheap. You could refiish one of these and swap out for the cracked one. Just a couple of thoughts.